Chapter Eighteen

Alex followed with a beaming smile as Damon begrudgingly and cautiously made his way to the front door. Swinging it wide, Damon came face to face with the Original standing on the other side. Damon shot Alex a question over his shoulder, his eyes not leaving the older Vampire's face. "Are you sure I've gotta invite him in?"

Sam, who had followed at a distance out of curiosity, asked, "What does the invitation signify?"

"As a vampire, one cannot enter another's private residence without an invitation from those who own it." Elijah responded kindly. The Original gave Alex a kind smile before dropping it and turning his attention to Damon.

"Are you going to play nice?" Damon asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I think the better question would be are you going to let us keep our hearts where they are?" Dean spoke up, now standing next to his brother. Though he said it with a sarcastic smile, there was a hint of actual terror in his voice that Alex picked up. 

Sure, Dean had seen a lot of insane and unbelievable things living the hunter's life on his world, but witnessing things that completely obliterated the rules of your world still took some time to accept. Seeing a man flash across the room and effortlessly rip the heart out of another man's chest with their hand wasn't something to take lightly.

"You have my word no harm will come to you or your guests as long as our previously discussed terms are upheld." Elijah's gaze never strayed from Damon's.

"I am endeavoring to uphold my end of the terms," Damon stepped to the side, eyes turning to Alex, "Our witch here on the other hand seems to be doing her damnedest to try void it all on her own." Giving Elijah the invitation he required, the group made their way back to the living room.

"Oh? And how is that?" Elijah adjusted his shirt sleeves as he waited for the others to sit. He cast a lifted eyebrow at Alex when Damon pulled her down next to him by her waist. Alex waved Elijah off.

"She's preparing to perform inter-world travel to go fight the devil himself. Apparently she's the only one who can save all mankind. On that world at least." Damon's tone was laced heavily with annoyance as he took a drink from his glass. Where had he gotten that?

Elijah was well aware that she hadn't originated in this world. But he hadn't known any of the specifics of the other world. As far as Elijah was concerned, if it didn't effect his life on this world, it wasn't necessary information to worry about. Alex absentmindedly started drawing circles on Damon's arm that was again wrapped across her waist as she defended herself against the death glare Elijah was sending her.

"It's not as bad as it sounds. And I'm not the only one that can save mankind." Her voice carried a mocking tone as she repeated Damon's words. "It will be a collective of misfits working together to take down one annoyance." Alex silently prayed the brothers would just play along.

Dean let out a laugh that he quickly covered with a cough when Elijah's attention snapped to him.

"And are you two part of this group of misfits?" Elijah's voice was even, an icy tone to it.

"Uh, yeah." Sam gave the vampire a nervous smile.

"Listen, Twilight," Alex snorted at Dean's words, "I kinda like my heart right where it is, so I'm gonna be up front with you. Yeah, Alex is one of our power plays. According to our other witch, she's the power play here. But she's also our family. Now, I don't know what your family is like, but in my family, we're all we got. Family means everything." Dean looked at Alex, his eyes full of emotion, before looking back to Elijah. "And right now, we ain't got much more than our little misfit family left back on our world. So we're gonna fight like hell to get everyone through this and out the other side." Dean met the Original's hard stare with his own.