Chapter Three

Taking a deep breath, Alex re-centered her thoughts and herself in this world. The moment she had stepped foot into this new world, she knew things were significantly different. For starters, Lucifer had apparently sent her back several centuries. Secondly, though she found magic in this universe to be slightly different than her own, she had quickly realized that somehow she had managed to keep claim over her original magical abilities. While witches here tended to age naturally, she- with the help of her abilities and personal spells- had almost ceased to age.

Now, 214 years later, Alex had almost completely mastered the witchcraft of this world and was considered by many to be an extremely powerful witch. Mostly in part because she had spells and magic that didn't, or at the very least, shouldn't exist in this world. It should be noted that Alex Milligan was the name of this famed and renowned witch.

The woman who currently owned and operated a small bookshop in the small town of Mystic Falls, was more fondly known as Alex Winchester. She had been forced to change her name decades back when the name Alex Milligan, witch extraordinaire, became too troublesome for her. She still didn't know what had made her choose the last name of Winchester. Perhaps it was some long hidden and lingering desire to be part of the only family she had ever known.

Whatever the reason, she now found herself occasionally regretting it for the simple fact that somehow, some way, Chuck's Supernatural book series had sprung into existence in this world. On more than one occasion she had had the unfortunate run-in with a Supernatural fangirl. It wasn't until she moved to Mystic Falls and opened up a rare books shop that her run-ins stopped. Mostly.

Not surprisingly, very few in her supernatural circles were aware of their existence. And even those that were, laughed them off since 'any idiot knows you kill a vampire with a wooden stake.'

Alex looked up from the book she was currently reading - an earlier Carver Edlund novel- as the bells above the door rang. She knew who- or rather what- the man was before he'd even stepped foot in her shop. Firstly, any idiot with half a brain would be able to see that this reckless man was a vampire. The man never ate and he drank way too much to not ever be drunk. Secondly, thanks to her original universe magic, she didn't need to touch someone in order to determine what breed of supernatural creature they were. And this man was definitely vampire. Not as old as some of the others she'd met in her travels, but a hundred years at least.

"Hello," Alex greeted with a smile, "Is there something I can help you find?"

The man, dressed casually in jeans and a black t-shirt, strolled over to her counter, his sharp ice blue eyes scanning the small shop. Leaning on one arm against the counter, he turned his focus to Alex, giving her a tight smile. "I'm looking for a book." 

No shit, Sherlock. Amused by the man, Alex resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Any book in particular?"

"One about werewolves." The man looked at her with a studying expression, his eyes working to try and figure her out.

"Well," Alex started as she walked around the counter and headed towards the shelves of books. "I've got some old fairy tale books such as the original telling of Little Red Riding Hood, I've got some other books that are a little less fairy tale. Maybe The Werewolf by Eugene Field is more your speed. That was printed in 1911." She pointed out a few of the books as she passed them by.

"Hmmmm, not quite what I was looking for. I'm thinking more-" The man paused as he considered the right words. 

"Textbook less novel?" Alex offered up. The man looked at her with a questioning look before she turned and continued down the rows of books. "I'm afraid I don't have any Werewolves for Dummies. You might try looking online." Alex browsed a few more books, the man silently watching her as he waited. "Oh, you might try the Lockwood's library."