Chapter Fourteen

After spending the next hour bringing Alex up to speed on what had occurred since she'd gone-- adding in extra explanations of some things for Damon's benefit-- and a little of what Rowena had told them about the spell she knew of, Damon had decided that was enough and that they should regroup in the morning.

With the Winchesters being from another world entirely, Damon and Alex agreed it'd be better if the boys stayed somewhere they could have an eye kept on them. Since Alex only owned her small studio apartment above her shop, Damon had graciously offered the boys rooms at his large estate, under the condition that Alex accompany them. When Alex questioned why she needed to be there, the vampire smirked and responded, "Stefan would feel so much safer if our witch was there to make sure nothing happened." Alex let it slide with an, "uh huh" and a pat on his chest. She couldn't help the warm feeling she felt when he had claimed her as their witch.

Grabbing a quick change of clothes and her shoulder bag that contained her grimoires, the four of them had set out for the boarding house shortly after. After making sure the Winchester brothers were all set up in a room with two beds - they apparently didn't feel comfortable be separated in a house with a vampire-- Damon had plopped down onto the couch between Alex and the arm of the couch, drink in hand.

"Are you going to give those poor hamsters the night off?" He nudged her shoulder, noticing her mindlessly spinning her phone around in her hands. She gave him a emotionless chuckle before tossing her phone onto the table in front of her and digging her palms into her tired eyes with a heavy sigh. "Hey, come here." Damon gently pulled her back against him, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her close. He reached around her and presented her with his glass of liquor. "Drink?"

Alex accepted the glass with a small smile and a hum. She took a small mouthful, enjoying the feeling of the warm liquid making its way down her chest, before handing the glass back to Damon. "Thank you, D."

He leaned his head forward to whisper conspiratorially in her ear. "It's just a drink, Alex."

Alex rested her head back against his shoulder, wrapping her arms across his arm that was stretched over her stomach. "Not just for the drink. For everything. For staying by my side tonight. For standing up for me. More than once." She started to trace circles on the sleeve of his shirt as she continued. "I know I would've been fine on my own, but it meant a lot that you did."

Damon gave her a soft squeeze as he pressed a kiss to the top of her head before leaning his own head back against the couch, closing his eyes. Alex continued to draw circles on Damon's arm until her eyes started to droop shut. Feeling a hum of contentment slip from her lips, the feeling of the vampire's warm arm a reassuring comfort, she let the deep darkness of sleep overtake her.

***

Blinking against the strain of early sunlight streaming across her face, Alex's mind registered almost immediately that she wasn't on the couch snuggled up against Damon anymore. Instead, she found herself snuggled up underneath the softest covers she'd ever felt in her entire existence. Holy guacamole she really needed to upgrade her mattress and blanket game.

The second thing her brain registered was that her slumber had been rather rudely interrupted by the sudden bouncing of the mattress caused by a blue eyed vampire who was now giving her a rather overly done innocent smile. She grumbled aloud as she tried to turn over and pull the covers back over her head. Let her sleep, dammit! 

Instead, a cold air rushed over her as Damon snatched the blankets from her hands with a satisfied smirk. "Damn you, Salvatore. Why can't you let me sleep?" Alex practically whined at the vampire. 

"Time to get up, princess." Damon sat down on the bed next to her, waiting for her to sit up before handing her a steaming cup of tea. "Your hunters are downstairs waiting for you. Shockingly, they aren't very comfortable being around vampires." He gave Alex a wide eyed faux shocked look.