Chapter Ten

Alex fought with herself most of the night. Her brain wouldn't let her forget Castiel's words. She just wanted to go to sleep. Turning over in her bed for the hundredth time that night, she finally gave up. Dammit, Cas. Why'd you have to show up? Things were going so well.

Grabbing the quilt off her bed and the book off the floor where she'd tossed it earlier, she made her way over to her favorite chair. Wrapping the blanket around her shoulders like a protective burrito, she plopped down.

A gloomy rain fell outside her window, the bright almost full moon casting a soft comforting glow across the buildings surrounding her. Alex sat there for a short while, simply watching the raindrops race down the panes of glass. A melancholic air blanketed her apartment when she finally opened the book in her lap.

Bracing herself, she began at the beginning, hoping it would help build up the courage to read past the line she'd always stopped at before.

A little over an hour later she found her self staring at that line. The feeling of that moment rising to the surface in her chest.

Alex's breath caught at Rowena's words, her eyes darting to the two brothers who now looked at her with confused expressions.

Alex's breath caught the same time that her character's did. Tears threatened to spill from the pools caught in her eyes. Taking a shaky breath, she moved her eyes on to the next word, and the next, and the next. Soon, they were dancing down the page, the scene playing in her mind like the memory it was.

Rowena had long left, leaving the three Winchester siblings alone to deal with this unexpected news. Dean wasn't upset or yelling at Rowena's revelation. He maintained a quiet but tense air about himself, pouring a glass of liquor as he processed the news, his eyes refusing to look at the woman. Alex was a witch.

Alex spoke up, calling Dean's name to garner his attention in the hopes of clearing the air and making things right. She knew Dean wasn't wholeheartedly against witches. Sure, he wasn't a fan and there had been plenty of times one had tried to kill him forcing him to dispatch them, but she was their sister. Right? He'd understand, wouldn't he?

But Dean's sharp movement of his hand coming up to stop her before she could continue silenced her voice. Alex waited with baited breath, her shoulders hunched in slightly as if she were a child awaiting a scolding. Her heart filled with dread as Dean walked to the complete opposite end of the table and took a seat beside his brother, Sam, his angry glare meeting her saddened face.

It was clear to Alex that a line had been drawn in the proverbial sand. With just a few words from the Scottish witch's mouth, Alex had been cut out of the family. Tiles had been rearranged. It was no longer the three Winchester siblings. It was the famed Winchester Brother Hunters and Alex Milligan, the witch. Alex felt her heart begin to crack. She had to be mistaken. They couldn't possibly turn on her so easily.

Alex flinched at the sound of Dean's voice. It was filled with a malice she'd never had directed at her before. "I knew something was off. I felt it in my gut. But I told myself, no, she's family. She wouldn't keep secrets from us. She wouldn't betray us."

Alex balked at Dean's words. Betrayal? "I never betrayed you, Dean," the young witch attempted to defend herself, only to be cut off again by Dean's angry shout. "You lied to us! How are we supposed to trust you?"

Her own anger rose in Alex's chest, causing her to lash back at him with her own accusations. "Lied? I didn't lie to you, Dean. So I didn't tell you I was a witch. It's not that big of a thing! You've come across plenty of witches before. What makes me any different?"