Chapter Twenty-Three

Alex felt like she was floating in a black emptiness. She couldn't see her own hand in front of her face, but she knew it was there. It was the kind of black where your eyes could see nothing, but your brain told them they were seeing something. She tried to move, only to find that she couldn't. But she found that that didn't seem to bother her. Instead she felt the sensation of peace flow through her body, feeling relaxed.

She knew there was something she should had been doing. Didn't she? It was something important wasn't it? Something whispered to her mind that it wasn't something she needed to worry about. Relax. Sleep. Embrace the tranquility. She could rest now.

Alex started to let her eyes drift closed.

As her lids lowered, she felt a small spark of something. She wasn't sure where it came from, or where exactly she felt it, but it had been enough for her to lift her heavy lids back up. Had it been a feeling? Or had it been something she'd seen at the edges of her vision? She felt her eyes scanning the area around her, though they could see nothing. What had been that spark?

Soon, the soft whisper came back, soothing her mind. Sleep. It's time to let go.

Let go? What was she holding on to?

Her eyes began to slowly lower once more.

As that question echoed in her mind, it was like a heavy fog started to thin out; her brain starting to see things more clearly. 

Slowly, memories began to seep back into her mind. Slowly at first, then growing into a steady flood.

Her, Sam, and Dean driving in the Impala, on their way to investigate a hunt.

Sam making funny faces over Dean's shoulder, while Alex tried not to break out laughing.

Rowena revealing to the brothers that she was a witch.

Lucifer sending her to another world.

Elijah.

Damon.

A promise.

She promised.

Lucifer.

Alex's eyes snapped open, her body suddenly struggling against whatever was holding her down. Her lungs started to burn, as if she hadn't taken a breath in too long. It felt like she was drowning as she tried to find something, anything, to connect with. Something to ground herself in all the blackness.

Feeling as if she were down to her last seconds, Alex clenched her eyes shut, reached out with her senses and, feeling something familiar, grabbed a hold of it and pulled.

Alex's eyes shot open to a blinding light, her chest rapidly expanding as her lungs sucked in the much needed oxygen they'd been deprived of for too long. As her chest heaved to replenish her oxygen, her eyes came into focus, her body being held up by someone who had gone still under her. Damn, her body hurt.

Dean's voice came first, quickly followed by Sam's as both men called her name. Goodness, it was good to hear their voices again. She lifted her head slowly, Dean's hand coming up to hold her steady. It was definitely going to take a hot minute before she'd be good to go again.

"Alex?" Dean repeated her name as he looked into her face, a smile starting to spread over his lips.

"That's me." Alex winced, groaning at the pain in her head. "Holy shit, that hurts." She brought her free hand up to hold her head. Her other hand was still securely clasped in Sam's hands.

Both the boys let out tearful laughs as they processed that she was back from the dead. Dean wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly against his chest as he laid his cheek on top of her head. "You were dead." His voice was quiet, scared.

Biting back the groan that threatened to escape at his sudden movements, Alex lifted her hand to pat Dean on the shoulder in comfort. The best she could anyways, considering most of her arm was trapped between herself and Dean's chest. "I was. But now I'm not."

Cas' voice came from behind her. "But how is that possible? You were dead."

Alex pulled away from Dean slightly, turning her head the best she could to meet Cas' confused gaze. "Really, Cas? You've seen these two come back from the dead several times. Is it really so hard to believe an all powerful witch would be able to do the same?" Alex's gaze traveled to Rowena's with a smirk. Well, as much of a smirk as she could muster. Her head felt like she'd gone twelve rounds with Jack Daniels. Nasty stuff. She much preferred Damon's brand.

"I'm well aware of Sam and Dean's deaths. But this was different." Cas narrowed his eyes at Alex before it changed into one of realization. The three boys turned their eyes to Rowena.

"I don't know why you're all looking at me. I didn't--" Rowena's words cut off as she realized what had happened. "You stole my spell!" Her voice was accusing, but not in an unkind way.

Alex gave an impish smile to the witch as she laid her head against Dean's shoulder, his arm protectively wrapping around her. "You'll have to forgive me this time, Rowena. I kinda liked the idea of living to see another day without the Devil walking the earth." At the mention of Lucifer, her tired eyes shot to Sam in question. "Speaking of which..." She began to lift her head to look around them. Sam held up a reassuring hand, letting her go back to relaxing against Dean. "He's gone. You did it."

"You're sure?" Alex's words came out more timid than she'd like. She would be lying if she said she wasn't terrified of Lucifer.

"Cas made sure. He's really gone." Sam smiled at her, his voice soft and reassuring like he was comforting a child. She didn't mind. She had died to save their lives. And thanks to Rowena's resurrection spell, she'd been able to make it back to her family.

As Sam and Dean helped her to her feet, everyone ready to go home and crawl into bed after a nice hot shower, Alex's eyes scanned the field around them as if looking for something. Dean grasped her arm, slowing her steps to a stop as he looked at her with concern. "What is it?"

His voice caught the attention of Sam, making him stop and face her.

A memory rushed through Alex's mind. A feeling of something familiar. It had lasted only a few seconds, but at the same time had felt like an eternity.

"Adam." It was one word, spoken softly as her eyes met Sam and Dean's.

"What about him?" Sam was hesitant and gentle in his question, unsure of where she was going with this.

"I felt him."

"What?"

"When I was sending Lucifer back to the cage, I felt Adam, if just for a second. I felt him in the cage. There was another archangel there. Michael, right?" She looked to Cas who nodded in confirmation. She couldn't help the tears that welled in her eyes.

"Alex," Sam started but couldn't find the words. They weren't necessary. She knew what he was trying to say. They'd kept the secret of Adam being alive again from her. Lucifer had happily let the cat out of the bag. But she understood. She also understood why they hadn't been able to rescue him when they got Sam out. It just wasn't possible at the time.

"It's okay, Sam." She gave his arm a squeeze. "Really. It's probably better that you guys never told me. I would've gone mad knowing he was there and I couldn't save him." She sniffled, swiping at her nose with the back of her hand. "It hurts now, knowing that he's still down there. But it's different now. I know I'm powerful enough now."

Alex didn't miss the worried look Sam and Dean exchanged with each other. She could tell they hadn't handled her death lightly. The witch reached out to both brothers, taking their hand in each of hers. "Don't worry. I'm not planning on anything right now. I have to be patient. And I promise I'll keep you both informed of any decisions or plans I make in regards to that."

"Deal." Both brothers squeezed her hand in response.

Hand in hand, the three siblings made their way to the Impala, happy to have their family back together again.