Chapter Seventeen

Alex, Damon, Sam, and Dean found themselves sitting in the Salvatore's living room after dropping Elena off at her house.

Alex scrubbed at her forehead with a weary sigh. They'd handled the teenage drama, saving the innocent. Now it was time to deal with the larger problem facing three of them. She'd spent twenty minutes listening to Sam and Dean go over recent events on their world and Rowena's plan once more. And then she'd spent the next ten minutes listening to Sam and Dean argue with Damon who didn't like the idea of her going up against Lucifer, to say the least.

The witch had quickly picked up on the slight panic in Damon's voice as he slammed his glass down on the coffee table before taking to pacing behind the couch she was sitting on. She'd kept silent throughout most of the conversations and arguments, only asking a question here or there when she thought it necessary.

She'd contemplated saying something to help smooth out Damon's ruffled feathers but came to the decision that it would be better if she let him get out what he needed to right now.

It was this most recent topic that had her hamsters working double time. Maybe she should invest in a third. Her mind felt like it hadn't had a chance to rest for the past few days, instead being pushed to it's limits. Something that was making her feel like she just couldn't fully process everything at the moment. Either she'd accidentally killed off one of the current hamsters running things or the two had started slacking off from exhaustion.

Alex looked down at the empty liquor glass in her hand. Or maybe she should stop drinking like a vampire and switch to tea.

Oblivious to the looks the three men gave her for leaving in the middle of their conversation, Alex stood and made her way to the kitchen, grabbing a mug and her tea leaves from the cupboard. She really appreciated that Damon kept a small box of her tea on hand.

As she waited for her freshly magic brewed tea to cool slightly, she leaned forward against the counter, absentmindedly gazing out the window. She just needed a moment to process everything in peace. Lucifer wasn't going to be easy to take down. He was cunning and extremely powerful.

And the only thing standing between him and world domination were two witches, two hunters, an angel, and a demon. It sounded like the beginning of a really bad joke. Alex chuckled quietly. Who was she kidding, the whole thing was a bad joke. A terrible, awful, unfair joke.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Alex looked over her shoulder to see Sam standing in the doorway, hands nervously buried in his pant pockets.

"Just thinking about the beginning of a terrible joke." Alex turned her body to lean back against the corner as Sam moved farther into the kitchen. He leaned against the kitchen island in front of her, arms now crossed against his chest. "Yeah," he responded softly, well aware what she had meant.

Alex took a deep breath and bit her bottom lip in thought. "I don't know what we're gonna do, Sam." Her confession was soft. Scared.

"Can I be honest?"

Alex met his sad gaze. "Please."

"I don't know if we are gonna be able to win this time around." Sam's response hit her harder than she had expected. Thinking it in her head was one thing. Hearing it spoken aloud to her was beyond terrifying and mind shattering.

Sam stood up straight, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder. "But I do know that a lot of innocent lives are at stake. And we don't let innocents die if we can do something about it."

Alex couldn't help but smile as Sam repeated the same words she said to Dean just that morning. Had it really been just that morning? The sun had set long ago, casting a darkness over their already dark topic of discussion.