Chapter Twenty-Four

Alex sat at the end of her bed, her eyes staring at nothing as she absentmindedly ran a towel through her freshly showered hair. They had gotten to the bunker a few hours ago, each person making their way to their own rooms to clean up and rest. Cas had done what he could to heal her aches and pains, which honestly, was more than she could've hoped for.

A soft knock on her door brought her out of her stupor. Looking up, she gave Sam a bright smile before waving him in. At her beckoning, he found a seat on the mattress next to her. "How are you feeling?" Sam asked.

"Pretty good, all things considered." Alex tossed the towel onto the back of the desk chair beside her. "What's up?"

"Oh, um," Sam pulled something out of his pocket "I thought you might like this back." Alex picked up the daylight ring he held out to her. A warm smile spread across her lips as she brought it to her lips, placing a light kiss onto the blue gemstone. "Thanks," she whispered to Sam as she slid it back onto the chain around her neck. She held it between her fingers, twisting it back and forth as she looked at it.

"You're going back aren't you?" Dean's voice came from the doorway, making her jump slightly. She looked up to see the older Winchester leaning against the door frame to her room, arms and ankles crossed.

At her silence, Dean uncrossed his arms and made his way farther into the room, taking a seat on the other side of her. He leaned forward, elbows on his knees, his head turned to see her face better. "It's okay you know."

Alex looked at him inquisitively.

"If you go back." Dean rubbed his hands together as he looked at the empty space in front of him. "It's okay."

Alex looked between the two solemn brothers for a moment before she laughed. Both men gave her a confused look.

"Guys, I'm not going anywhere."

Dean sat up, his face perking up at her words.

"I mean, I am going back. But it's not like I'm staying away." She looked down at her hands as she spoke, her words coming out softer. "Even though Lucifer sent me to another world to save himself, he inadvertently helped to show me where I belong." Looking up, she rushed to reassure both brothers who had sad looks on their faces. "I belong here with you guys." She rested a hand on each of their shoulders. "But, I also found a place where I belong on the other world."

"So you are going back?" Sam asked.

"Yes. But!" She held up a finger for emphasis. "Now that I have Rowena's portal spell, I have every intention of visiting you guys. And hey, with the way the time difference works, it'll be like I never left. If anything you'll get sick and tired of me being around so much." She gave them each a beaming grin.

"Not possible, sis."

Alex couldn't help the love she felt as both her bothers wrapped an arm around her with a bright smile.

**

After a well deserved meal with the boys, Alex decided it was time to head home. She had written down instructions and went over them with both brothers, showing them how they could contact her should they need her again. She'd need to make a trip back with something from the other world first-- Damon's temporary daylight right was decided on-- but after that, it'd be pretty easy to get a hold of her.

After one last hug from each of her brothers, Cas included, she bid them farewell and cast the spell that would send her home.

In the blink of an eye she found herself reaching out to steady herself against the Salvatore's kitchen island. Fudge knuckles that was going to take some getting used to. Taking a deep breath to center herself better in this world, Alex couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face when she heard a familiar voice. But her smile dropped into a frown when she realized he was shouting.

Making her way through the house, Alex peaked around the doorway to the living room to see what the commotion was.

She flinched as Damon threw a glass at the wall, the thing shattering at the impact. What the hell was going on here?

Damon was pacing behind one of the couches, her back to him. Stefan stood facing him with Caroline sat on the couch beside Stefan. "It's only been a week, Damon." Stefan held a hand out to try and reason with his clearly irate brother. Damon stopped his pacing to face the younger brother. "I don't care if it's been five minutes, Stefan. I'm telling you, something happened. I felt it."

"How?" Stefan asked not unkindly.

"I don't know! I just know that I felt it. And now I just need to know she's okay."

Caroline stood up and asked her own question in an effort to help the unsteady vampire. "Can Bonnie help? Maybe she can try and connect with something of Alex's that will help her get you some answers?" It was a sweet offer, but Alex knew Bonnie wouldn't be capable to that kind of magic.

Damon threw a hand out to his side in defeat, the other hand rubbing at the back of his neck. "Elijah already tried that with one of his witches. Jonas said he couldn't get anything other than a black emptiness. But he wasn't sure if that was because it was something was wrong or just because she was on a different world."

Stefan gave Caroline a sad smile as he interlaced his fingers with hers, pulling her closer to his side. Wait. When did Steroline become a thing? Whatever. She liked those two together better than Elena. That girl had some serious control issues.

Wanting to put Damon out of his misery, she stepped forward, immediately catching Stefan and Caroline's attention. Caroline's face broke out into the biggest grin when Alex asked, "Since when is Steroline a thing?"

Damon spun around with wide eyes before he was suddenly in front of her, his hands grasping her face and his lips crashing against hers. It didn't take more than a moment for Alex to recover from the shock of his sudden movements before she was wrapping her arms around her vampire, happily returning his kiss.

After a moment, Damon pulled back to look at her. "Where the hell have you been, sweetheart? And what the hell happened?" Before she could answer, he pulled her to his chest, his arms wrapping around her, holding her as close as he could to her. Alex let him, her own arms holding on tight to him.

Alex felt a quiet sob escape her chest as she held onto her vampire. She was so happy to be home, wrapped in the arms of the person she loved. Hearing her quiet sob, Damon loosened the embrace, but didn't fully release her. With two fingers, Damon gently lifted her chin until her eyes met his worried ones. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"Nothing." Alex laughed out through her tears. "Absolutely nothing." She reached up and grabbed his face, pulling him down so her lips could meet his. "These are happy tears, I promise." Damon looked back at her. "You're sure?"

"Yes. I'm just so happy to be home where I belong."

At her words, Damon swept her up into another passionate kiss. 

One she happily returned.