Chapter Twenty-Two

Dean felt like he was in wind tunnel as he and Sam huddled over Rowena; the witch's own head buried in her arms to protect her from the menacing winds. He tried to look over his shoulder, to see what was happening with Alex, but it was like the winds were pinning him in place, refusing to let him see what was happening to his sister. He briefly wondered if it was Alex doing it.

Almost instantly, the wind died down, not even a breeze remaining. Dean felt Sam relax beside him, their bodies no longer straining against the wind. Dean slowly lowered his arms, his eyes scanning Sammy to make sure he was okay. 

Had they done it? Dean looked over his shoulder to see what happened. Dean's eyes registered the unconscious body of who he hoped was now Nick's, laying where Lucifer had been. The sound of Cas saying Alex's name, his voice mournful, had Dean and Sam's heads both snapping to the find their sister.

His eyes immediately found her limp body, his body reacting before his brain could process what his eyes were seeing. Running at full speed, Dean rushed to Alex's side, sliding briefly on his knee as he came to a stop, his hands hovering over her still body, terrified of what he was seeing.

A second later, Sam was beside him, the younger brother's breath coming out in gasps as he said his sister's name in a question.

Snapping to action, Dean carefully grasped Alex by the arms, turning her so she lay on her back. Her face was smeared with blood, lines of the red liquid forming thick lines from her ears and nose down her neck. The color was a stark contrast against her deathly pale skin. 

Quickly, he placed fingers against her neck, begging anyone and anything for them to find a pulse. A heavy dread settled in Dean's gut. His chest suddenly felt like it was being restricted in it's movements, his air supply reduced. Dean's terrified eyes shot to Sam's, no words necessary for Sam to know that Dean didn't feel a pulse. Sam snapped his attention to Cas who was slowly approaching, a limping Rowena just behind. "Cas?" Sam begged with glistening eyes.

Dean fought against the lump forming in his throat as he clasped her lifeless hand in his. Cas had to be able to save her right? She couldn't be dead. 

She just couldn't be. 

Dean refused to believe it. 

Sam moved slightly, allowing Cas to place a hand against Alex's temple. After just a second, Cas hung his head low. "I'm sorry." The angel looked between the brothers, his watery gaze settling on Dean. "She's gone. There's nothing I can do."

Dean felt the world stop spinning around him. He didn't know what to do. There had to be a way to bring her back, right? They had just gotten her back, they can't lose her now. Dean shook his head, refusing to believe Alex was gone.

His body trembled, almost as if fighting against itself, as he lifted a shaky hand up to cover his mouth. "No." It came out as a soft whisper, his lips trembling as he fought back tears. They just got her back. He looked at Sam, wishing like hell Cas was wrong, that Sam somehow had an answer. But Sam's eyes reflected his own, tears beginning to overflow and fall down his cheeks.

Dean moved his feet so he was sitting directly on the ground and pulled his sister into his arms, cradling her head against his chest as he fought against the tears that came anyways. He knew she was planning on doing something stupid. He knew it. He should've listened to his gut. He should've-- no. He stopped his thoughts. She had made a choice. It was a damned awful, terrible choice, but it was what she had wanted. She saved them.

Dean lowered his head, softly kissing the top of her head as he gently moved the hair out of her peaceful looking face. Beside him, Sam wiped at his face, taking in deep breathes to counter the tears. Seeing her ring laying in the dirt, Sam wrapped it in her hand, squeezing it tightly in his own. Dean hoped maybe a witch or the magic from her world would hear their silent pleas and bring her back.

"It's okay, sis." He rocked her lifeless body as he held her tight against his chest. "We've got it from here." Dean's voice was soft, a slight tremble.