Chapter Five

Damon had been frequenting the book shop almost every day for several weeks following his meeting with Alex. She had indulged him by answering some of his more pestering questions about her abilities and her age. He had balked when she told him she was over 200 years old. When he had questioned her on that, or any of the other limited answers she gave, she simply gave him a teasing wink and smirk and gave the same answer each time: "I'm a Winchester, remember?"

He clearly didn't believe her, or at the very least took all of her answers as a sarcastic way of telling him 'no dice' to getting a real answer, but she appreciated that he just let it be each time.

Not surprisingly, Alex and Damon had quickly formed a bond. It didn't take long before the two acted as if they'd known each other for years; Alex collapsing on a couch next to Damon, throwing her legs over his lap to get comfortable; Damon casually stealing sips of her drink the nights they went to the Grill together and his was gone. The two found that they each fit into the other's life rather comfortably. Alex hadn't had that since she'd lived in Louisiana decades back for a time.

It was a Tuesday evening when the bells above her door chimed, effectively signaling her entry into the town's drama. She'd known it was coming; Damon had complained about the local teenagers enough for her to know that. But she'd been very much grateful when Damon had listened to her protests and agreed to leave her out of it all for as long as possible. 

Alex looked up from her copy of Shakespeare's Hamlet- she wondered if anyone else read it as a satirical comedy rather than an actual tragedy--  to observe the three teenage girls that had just entered. Based off of Damon's rambling descriptions of those around town he seemed annoyed with the most on any given day, she guessed these girls to be the Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline that had brought so much grief into his life in just a few days.

Her instincts instantly pegged Bonnie as the witch of the group. She wondered if Damon was aware? He hadn't mentioned it. As if hearing her thoughts- something she knew the witchling wasn't capable of- Bonnie turned to meet Alex's gaze. Alex gave them a small smile, offering a cheerful 'welcome'. At this, the three teens made their way over to the counter. Elena appeared wary of anyone she didn't know, but still polite. Caroline radiated an energy way too happy for a teenager still stuck in high school. But she guessed maybe being a vampire would have something to do with it. If it did, she had to be one of the bubbliest vampires she'd ever met. Alex decided she liked the blonde.

Bonnie gave off the air of someone who was better than the others and believed she knew more than anyone in the room. It wasn't a good look.

Elena looked like she was about to speak up when Bonnie practically pushed herself to the front of them and held out her hand with an overly friendly smile. Alex resisted the urge to laugh at the action. She guess she had to applaud Bonnie for at least being wary of strangers. Though apparently Damon had kept her secret of being a witch. That was nice of him. She'd have to bake him a thank you cookie or something. 

"Hi! I'm Bonnie. These are my friends Caroline and Elena. A friend of ours mentioned you might be able to help us with some research for a paper we're writing."

Alex glanced down at the girl's outstretch hand for a moment before giving a small wave. "Hello, I'm Alex. I'd be happy to help with any research you may have." With a quick glance at Bonnie's still outstretched hand, she innocently held up both hands. "The number of pathogens passed during a handshake is staggering. It's actually safer to kiss." Damn, Alex really missed the good late night TV from her original world. There wasn't really anything worth watching in this one.

Bonnie looked a cross between bummed that her tactic had failed and annoyed at Alex's response. Though she'd strengthened her wards to ensure even if she was caught off guard and another witch made contact with her, she'd be thoroughly protected from being discovered, she still didn't like to take chances. She knew Bonnie never would've been able to get past her wards, but she also couldn't resist the urge to mess with the un-trusting witchling.