Chapter Sixteen

"Everything okay?" Dean asked, turning away from his quiet conversation with Sam.

Alex shook out her arms in an attempt to rid herself of the mounting nerves this morning was bringing her. "Yeah, just the usual teenage drama that seems to be the norm around here." She collapsed back onto her seat on the couch, her mind scrambling to formulate what their next steps should be. All of this was quickly becoming too much. Dealing with teenage vampire drama was one thing. Throw in a homicidal devil on another world completely and anyone was bound to want to crawl into a hole a hide.

"It doesn't really look like things are okay." Sam hesitantly moved to sit on the edge of his seat, ready to tackle the next danger.

"It seems Stefan's girlfriend has deemed it necessary to offer herself up as sacrifice to the local hybrid." Damon sat next to Alex, turning her so she was sat with her back snuggled up against his side, his arm draping around her waist just as it had the night before. He gave an amused smirk in return to the scowl Dean sent his way.

Alex played with Damon's hand for a few seconds, tracing the lines on his palm as her mind worked through all the information. Sam and Dean exchanged a look, the former giving his brother a soothing look. Sam opened his mouth to ask Alex something but Damon stopped the giant's words with a finger to his lips. "Let the hamsters do their work." Both Winchesters gave Damon a very confused look.

Alex breathed a laugh through her nose, poking Damon in the side. Apparently his words helped, as the hamsters worked out what the next step was. With a huff, Alex hopped to her feet, pulling Damon up with her by the hand she still held onto. "Guess it's time to go save Elena. Again."

Dean stepped up, lifting a hand in the air to stop her from leaving just yet. "Alex, Lucifer ain't sitting around twiddling his thumbs waiting for us to come knock on his door and challenge him to a fight. We can't stick around saving all the teenagers from," he paused as his face morphed with confusion, "sacrificing themselves to the local hybrid?" He shook his head. "We've got a world back home that is about to be completely obliterated by the devil."

Alex centered herself with a deep breath that raised and lowered her shoulders. With a patient and understanding tone, she addressed his concerns. "I understand, Dean. But I've processed it. Time works differently on our worlds. If I'm not mistaken, I'd say you've only been gone from yours for a few minutes at most. But here, right now, Elena needs someone to step up for her. She may be just another idiot teenager, but she's an innocent. We don't let innocents die if we can do something about it, Dean."

***

The four of them parked up the street from the apartment building where Elena was supposedly awaiting Klaus' arrival. Alex had sent off a text to Elijah, updating him on what was happening while Damon drove, the Winchester men in the seats behind them. It had been comical seeing Sam squeeze into the back seat of her SUV. There was a decent amount of leg room, but it was still lacking for his six foot four frame. She had offered to let him ride shotgun, but Damon had insisted on her riding up front with him, and Sam, ever being the peace keeper had claimed that he was good riding in the back with his brother.

Damon exited the vehicle, using his vampire speed to meet Alex as she stepped out on her side.

"Son of a bitch." Dean jumped back in surprise at the man's sudden appearance in front of him and Alex. "What the hell was that?"

"I'm gonna guess your vampires don't have superhuman speed?" Damon gave Dean a smirk before taking Alex by the hand and leading her around the vehicle to the building, not giving Dean a chance to respond. Alex ducked her head to hide her laugh seeing Dean's reaction. "Did you friggin' see that, man?" She heard Dean complain to Sam who gave an exasperated, "Just, come on man."