Encounter of Menta and Harold Part 2

Harold spent the entire evening searching for the meteor piece, but found nothing. He was beginning to give up as he was tired. He didn't want to believe that he would disappoint his uncle again. However, he didn't give up and after a short break, he continued.

Menta couldn't sleep for more than an hour that night. She had too many thoughts. At one point, she went outside the doghouse and sat down. 

Menta: Why me? Only me? Really, why? Don't I deserve it? Or what? I won't get any further by sitting here and pondering. But then what should I do? Mom... dad... where are you now? 

She looked up at the setting moon. A teardrop rolled down her cheek, traced across her face, and landed on the concrete. Ryder watched this and wondered if he had done something wrong. He walked over to the girl who looked at him. He stopped next to her and crouched down. 

Ryder: Everything okay? 

He placed his hand on her shoulder. 

Menta: Y.. yes. 

She wiped away her tears and looked at the boy. 

Menta: I just couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd sit for a while. 

Ryder knew that Menta was lying to him, but he didn't want it to be like it was before. He didn't want the girl to lose trust in him again. 

Ryder: If that's all. I'll go prepare breakfast. 

With that, he released Menta's shoulder and stood up. 

Menta: Okay. 

Ryder went into the tower and prepared breakfast while Menta sat there and stared ahead. She contemplated her life, her past, her present, and her future. Her fears, how she lost her paw, and a thousand other things crossed her mind until she heard Chase's voice.

Chase: Good morning. How about you? 

The boy was accompanied by Skye. 

Menta: Good morning to you too. Actually, I couldn't sleep. 

Chase woke up the other dogs, and they had breakfast. About five minutes after breakfast, Ryder received a call. 

Ryder: How can we help, Mayor Goodway? 

Goodway: Oh, Ryder, we'll need every Paw Patrol member! 

Ryder stood there in shock, unable to believe what Mayor Goodway was saying. 

Ryder: No bite is too big or dog too small! The Paw Patrol is ready in the lookout! 

Pups: Rider need us! 

Everyone rushed, except Menta, who didn't even want to go up. Although she walked over to the elevator where all the pups were lying since Marshall knocked them over again. Menta took her seat. When the elevator reached the top, all the pups sat in their places except Menta. Chase: Super pups are ready for a super mission, Rider sir. Rider briefed them on the situation, and they set off. Menta watched them from the top of the tower, and when they were no longer visible, she went down, took off her collar, and headed in a direction. She didn't know where she was going or what her destination was. She just kept walking.

Harold was getting tired of the search, so he decided to take a walk. He didn't want to think about the meteor for at least an hour. He headed to the beach and walked and walked. Suddenly, he heard a strange noise from above.

While Menta was walking absentmindedly, she didn't notice the cliff in front of her. When she finally noticed, it was too late. She fell, landing in Harold's hands. For a few seconds, they just looked at each other, but Menta quickly jumped off Harold's arm. 

Menta: Uh... thanks for catching me. 

Harold: You're welcome. By the way, who are you? I haven't seen you around. Are you also a member of the Paw Patrol? 

The girl didn't know what to say; there were too many questions, and she was speechless. 

Menta: I'm Menta. What is the Paw Patrol? And who are you? 

Suddenly, she couldn't control herself, felt overwhelmed, and behaved just like she did a year ago. 

Harold: I'm Harold Humdinger. The Paw Patrol is a team of annoying dogs led by a boy. If you don't know them, count yourself lucky. Anyway, how did you end up here? 

Menta: I'm running away from my past and present. 

Harold sat on a small rock, motioning for Menta to sit next to him. Despite being more of a cat person, Harold had no issues with dogs. Menta sat down. 

Harold: You're not the only one running away from your past. 

Menta: What do you mean by that? If I may ask. 

Harold took a deep breath, and memories brought a tear to his eye.

Harold: The story: It all started when my father left when I was four. It was tough, but not the toughest part. The hardest thing happened two years later when my mom died of a heart attack. My siblings went to an institution, and I ended up with my grandparents. They hate me, but since they're old, having someone to boss around suits them. I can't do anything right in their eyes. One day, my big uncle came to visit since he found out where I lived. He said I had to become a mayor because that's what I was destined for. I promised him I'd be the best mayor. He brought me here for a summer to teach me a few things. That's when I realized it's much better here than with my grandparents. Since then, I come to Foggy Valley to escape. But I can't keep the promise I made to my uncle. I don't want to disappoint him. Those super pups don't help with that. But I promised my uncle that I would kill anyone with superpowers.

Menta: Do you have a need for compliance? 

The boy nodded, relieved that someone knew his story. A big weight was lifted off his chest. 

Harold: And you? 

She roughly outlined her story for the boy. 

Harold: Well, it's not easy for you either. But now I have to go because my uncle will be looking for me. Goodbye. 

Menta: Goodbye. Wow. I didn't expect this. 

She also headed back to the tower. However, Harold's last words, "I will kill anyone with powers," unsettled her. She feared that someone might get hurt.

As she approached the tower, something suddenly whizzed by her. It was Chase, heading towards her. 

Chase: Menta! I thought something happened to you. 

He hugged the girl and signaled to Ryder. They went back to the tower, where the others were waiting. Ryder went to Menta and reattached her collar. After dinner, Chase wanted to talk to Menta, but she went into her house and curled up. Chase knocked on her door. 

Chase: Menta, can I come in? 

No response. Chase sat for a while and pressed the door-opening button, entering. 

Chase: Menta, are you okay? 

She looked at her younger brother and sat up. 

Menta: Chase, please, I don't want to talk right now. Maybe tomorrow; I'm very tired.

Chase: Well, alright. Good night. 

He turned around and left, although he didn't do it willingly. Menta closed the door and went to bed to sleep.