You love me? Part 8

Rocky woke up in the evening and started staring at Zuma. The brown Labrador also woke up, yawned, and smiled at the gray mix.

Zuma: Rocky, do you love me?

The question took Rocky by surprise.

Rocky: Of course. I love you very much. Why?

Rocky was anxious about Zuma's response but wanted to know.

Zuma: Well, I thought we should start telling the others soon. But only if you want to.

The mix pondered, as it might be true, but he feared that others might ostracize them and not accept them.

Rocky: What if we tell them, and they don't accept us afterward? A-and what if Ryder sends us away?

Zuma hugged Rocky, and they fell asleep without saying anything. It was dawn when Zuma woke up again. He went out and looked at Menta with wolfish eyes. Zuma's legs trembled when Menta approached.

From Menta's perspective: 

Menta was already up early, watching Jager sleep. She still didn't understand her feelings, but found it cute how Jager snored softly. Jager yawned and turned to the other side. Menta was sad that she couldn't see Jager's face, but she watched his back and still heard his even breathing. Jager stretched his legs and turned. As he turned, Menta's and his noses touched. Both dogs quickly pulled their heads away.

Jager: S-sorry.

The boy avoided looking at the girl directly.

Menta: It's okay.

Jager stood up and went out of the doghouse. Menta followed. When she looked toward Rocky's house, she saw Zuma coming out, and the eyes of the two dogs met. Menta walked toward the Labrador, who started trembling.

Zuma: Th-this is not wh-what it looks like.

Menta put her paw on Zuma's shoulder.

Menta: Relax, Zuma. I suspected there was something between you two. But I'm happy about it. I won't tell anyone, okay?

Zuma looked surprised at Menta and nodded. Neither of them noticed, but Jager saw and heard everything. Still, he had no intention of telling anyone.

Rex came back in the morning, and everyone was happy to see him. Menta couldn't decide whether she was happy or not, as it was a beautiful day. Ryder decided they should go down to the beach. Zuma jumped into the water, Chase, Skye, Everest, and Marshall flew, Rocky lay far from the water, watching Zuma, Rex talked with Menta, and Jager and Ruble built a sandcastle. Everyone was occupied, and Ryder talked with Kate.

Jager: Menta, aren't you coming to build a sandcastle with Rex?

While Rex was teaching Menta the dinosaur language, Jager interrupted.

Menta: Why not? Are you coming, Rex?

Rex nodded slightly angrily. He didn't want to be close to Jager. While they were building, Zuma came out of the water and walked toward the almost sleeping Rocky.

Zuma: Are you awake?

He sat in front of the mix, who lifted his head. Zuma smiled.

Rocky: Yes. What's so funny?

The mix sat up.

Zuma: Nothing, Wocky. I just remembered when we were running, and you stumbled. Your whole face got sandy.

Rocky rolled his eyes, but a smile appeared on his face.

Ryder: Do you really think there's more between them than friendship? They're both boys.

Kate: Just look at them. They're talking right now. They spend a lot of time together, and besides, it doesn't matter if they're boys or not.

Ryder pondered. It didn't bother him, but it was strange because he had never seen same-sex pairs. However, he thought about not accepting them.

Ryder: You might be right.

Menta noticed some tension between Jager and Rex. It was getting harder not to think about the two boys and the fact that she liked both of them. She feared they would fight each other. She saw Rocky and Zuma talking.

Menta: I wonder if they are afraid to tell us the truth. Maybe they're right, and we're not ready. Why is love so difficult?

Then a voice interrupted her thoughts. Jager spoke.

Jager: Menta, aren't you building?

The girl was startled, not knowing where she was, but she tried to give a meaningful answer.

Menta: Oh, well... um, yes.

She also started building something out of sand.

Rocky tried to convince Zuma to tell everyone. If they don't like it, then they are not real friends.

Rocky: But, Zuma, I'm not ready for this.

Zuma: But why? Why do we have to hide our feelings? Why can't we just be ourselves? Tell them, Wocky. Why?

Rocky didn't know what to say to his best friend, who happened to be his partner. He didn't have answers to these questions.

Rocky: I-I'm just afraid that they will say something. I... and I don't want to lose you. You're the first one I trust.

Zuma calmed down a bit and hugged the mix. It didn't matter who saw them; he didn't want to lose Rocky either. Ryder saw them hugging, sealing the theory that they loved each other. They let go of each other.

Rocky: You know what? Let's tell them once and for all.

Zuma: Are you sure, Wocky?

Rocky nodded. They both took a deep breath and agreed that when they return to the Lookout Tower, they will tell the truth.

The sun began to set, and Ryder told the dogs it was time to go. They arrived home for dinner. After everyone finished eating, Rocky and Zuma stood in front of the others who were sitting in front of the TV.

Zuma: We want to tell you something, Wocky and I.

Ryder walked over, and everyone focused on the two dogs. Menta winked at Zuma to encourage him.

Zuma: The thing is, Wocky and I... well, um, we...

Chase interrupted.

Chase: Just say it already.

Zuma took a deep breath and continued.

Zuma: The two of us love each other, but not just as friends, more than that.

This news surprised everyone, but Zuma kept going.

Zuma: And if you don't accept this, we understand. If needed, we'll leave the Paw Patrol if you don't want to see us because of this.

Ryder: I don't see any problem with this, and both of you are members of the team anyway. I wouldn't want you to leave the team.

After discussing everything, they started watching TV, except for three dogs: Menta, Jager, and Rex. Menta went out, and Rex and Jager followed her.

Menta: Why are you following me?

Rex: I want to talk to you. In private.

Rex glared at Jager.

Jager: What if she doesn't want to talk to you?

The two dogs confronted each other, and Menta just watched. She didn't know what to do; she just listened to the argument.

Jager: If you feel so big, come and fight!

Rex: Oh, I accept the offer.

These two sentences reminded Menta of when she first saw Noah fighting. Since then, she froze and couldn't move when the two boys jumped at each other.