The Wind of the Past Part 10

As it was already getting dark when they returned, Menta kept saying that she would answer all the questions tomorrow. After dinner, Menta sat down in her usual spot and watched the moon. Jager followed her to find out what was weighing on Menta's mind. Chase would have gone too, but he decided to let the two of them talk.

Jager: Is everything okay?

Jager sat down beside Menta.

Menta: Yes, of course. I was just thinking.

Jager, as always, was attentive.

Jager: Why don't you tell us anything?

The girl took a deep breath, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

Menta: I'm afraid... uh I'm afraid that my past will catch up with me and... and that I won't be able to overcome it.

Jager: Why do you think that? What happened?

Menta shook her head.

Menta: Ryder's father deals with dogs like me, and he asked questions that... uh... well, you know, it's hard to answer. When we came back, we passed by the place where I was born.

Menta looked at Jager, and now the two dogs quietly observed each other.

After a few minutes, Ryder's voice broke the silence.

Ryder: Paw Patrol, to the lookout!

Pups: Rider's need's us!

They entered the elevator where Marshall bumped into everyone. Menta and Jager arrived just in time for their noses to touch. Menta pulled her head away and stood up. Upon reaching the top of the tower, they got out of the elevator and one by one jumped out.

Chase: Ready for action, Rider sir.

Chase said, stretching.

Ryder: Thank you for hurrying. Farmer El's sheeps escaped from the pen, and he can't bring them back alone. That's why I'll need the German Shepherd Trio. Chase, Menta, and Jager.

All three of their symbols appeared on the screen simultaneously.

Ryder: Since all three of you are shepherd dogs, it will be your task to herd the sheep back into the pen.

Chase: I'll herd and help wherever I can.

Menta: We'll guide those fluffy ones back to their place.

Jager: Let's guide them.

Ryder: And we'll also need Skye to find the sheep from above with the help of your lamp.

Skye: Flying is my life.

As usual, Skye did a backflip.

Ryder: Paw Patrol, ready for action

When they arrived at the farm of farmer El, from the German Shepherd trio, Chase and Jager began herding the visible sheep while Menta searched for the others with Skye's help.

Skye: Menta, there are some in that circular pen over there.

Menta: Circular? Oh no. Alright, duty calls. Okay, I see them too now.

Menta went in, and suddenly, all the sheep started rushing out of the pen. One of them bumped into the gate, causing it to close. At that moment, Menta noticed a familiar figure. Suddenly, it was as if they had switched places. The behavior was completely different, and Skye also noticed this, so she called Ryder over. Now Menta and that dog were facing each other. Ryder found him familiar, but he couldn't quite place where from. Both dogs assumed strange postures, halfway between attacking and defending. The dog suddenly lunged at Menta, but she fought back. The two dogs were now in a fight. Ryder froze, having never seen a dog fight before, especially not between two dogs who had participated in dog fights. Skye didn't quite grasp what was happening; she just flew above the cage and illuminated. Chase and Jager were nowhere nearby. They were calmly herding the sheep. Menta managed to pin the other dog to the ground, and then they snapped back to reality. All the struggle was about this, except those that weren't... yes, life and death struggles, but this was a simple fight for them. However, Menta got another injury on her ear, from which a small piece was missing. Skye landed on the ground, and Ryder unlatched the gate. Menta looked over and landed from the other dog.

Menta: Ryder, stay there! D...don't come in...

Menta knew that if Ryder stepped inside the circle, he could also be in danger. Menta slowly made her way towards the gate, with her ears folded back, watching the dog. Ryder moved away from the gate and watched Menta from a distance. Menta stepped out of the circle, and only then did the other dog get up.

Menta looked at Ryder and saw fear in the man's eyes. At that moment, Menta would have run away, but she didn't want to flee as she used to. Although she was afraid that Ryder would fear her from now on, even though she couldn't help it; it was an instinct for her and she couldn't control it. Menta looked at Skye, who was watching her with the same gaze as Ryder. Both of them looked at her with fear.

Menta: R...Ryder... uh.. I...I didn't... I didn't mean to do that... it's... uh.. it's an instinct for me... and I... uh.. I can't control it...

Menta hung her head. Ryder stepped closer and knelt down.

Ryder: I know.

Then he hugged the dog, who was surprised but glad that at least Ryder wasn't afraid of her. Since Ryder warned his father that although Menta wasn't inherently dangerous, once she entered a closed circle, she could do anything involuntarily.

After they returned to the lookout, Menta didn't say anything; she just went into the doghouse and closed the door. Menta just lay there and did nothing. She didn't want to see anyone and didn't want to talk to anyone. She heard a knock on the door.

Jager: Menta.

He whispered.

Jager: Can I come in?

Menta didn't know how to respond to that.

Menta: Yeah.

Jager opened the door and entered, then closed it behind him. He sat down in front of Menta.

Jager: Is everything alright?

Menta hugged the boy and started to cry.

Menta: No, nothing has ever been okay in my life. I've always been hurt, and I've hurt others... and I've killed... I killed my best friend...

Jager hugged the girl back and started stroking her back in hopes of comforting her a bit. But Menta was inconsolable at the moment. Everything that happened in the past now erupted from within her, and she directed it all towards Jager.

Menta: I'm a bad dog... and the number of my sins is too great to be forgiven...

Menta could barely speak through her tears. Tears welled up in Jager's eyes too, and he almost cried himself. He couldn't bear to see the dog like this, the dog for whom he would give his life if necessary.

Menta: Nobody can love me... and even if anyone could... it wouldn't be real... because I'm incapable of it.

This sentence hurt Jager deeply, but he knew that Menta wasn't herself right now, and she couldn't be angry with her.

Jager: That's not true. I love you, and you're not bad because it's not your fault, it's that man's.

The two dogs let go of each other. Jager wiped Menta's tears and looked deep into her eyes.

Jager: I love you. Very much. More than you think, and I don't want to lose you.

Menta: Do you really... really love me?

Menta and Jager sat very close to each other.

Jager: Yes.

He said, then kissed Menta, who didn't hesitate and kissed him back. Then they hugged each other again, and Menta started crying again, although not as much as before. Jager laid her down, then lay down a few meters away from her.

Menta: Jager?

Jager: Yes?

Menta: Can I... uh... hug you?

Jager smiled and then moved closer to the girl and hugged her. They quickly fell asleep as both of their days had been long and tiring.