Famili + love Part 12

Menta pondered what this feeling might be like.

Menta: I'm sorry. Is there anything I can help with? Maybe I know something.

Colonel looked at Menta with sad eyes.

Colonel: Well, I remember his eyes were brown, and I named him Chase. He had a mark on his neck that distinguished him from all the other pups, although this mark might not be visible anymore due to his fur.

Menta recalled what it was like when she was looking for her sibling. Then she realized she also had a peculiar mark on her neck.

Menta: Was he the only one with a mark on his neck?

Colonel pondered.

Colonel: I think so. Well, he's the only one who survived, so I suppose it's not that important.

Menta: Alright then. But I must be going now. Goodbye and good night.

Colonel: Goodbye to you too.

Menta headed back to the tower. Ryder told Jager and Skye not to watch the newcomers by nightfall. Jager said he would stay a little longer. He wanted to wait until everyone was asleep. He watched from a small hill, though he would have preferred to be asleep. He began to stroll as his legs had gone numb from standing too long. He reached the edge of the hill, slipped, and tumbled down. Colonel happened to be passing by, and they nearly collided.

Colonel: Who are you, and where did you come from?

Jager quickly got to his feet.

Jager: I'm Jager, and I was just walking around here, but I'm leaving now.

He began to climb the not-so-steep hill to get to his car and leave as soon as possible.

Colonel: I see. And where are you heading now?

Jager reached the top, glanced back, and replied.

Jager: Home.

With that, he turned around, jumped into his car, and headed towards the lookout tower. Colonel didn't quite understand, but he wasn't too concerned about it.

After dinner, Menta and Chase went out to talk. Chase noticed that something was bothering Menta. They sat down at their usual spot.

Chase: Everything alright?

Menta looked at Chase and then noticed something on his neck.

Menta: Of course. What's that mark on your neck?

Chase placed his paw on the mark.

Chase: I don't know. It's been there for as long as I can remember. Why?

Menta smiled and realized a few things. She hugged her brother.

Menta: Nothing, I was just curious.

She smiled kindly and then suddenly pulled away and rubbed her head, something Chase hated.

Chase: Hey!

He pushed Menta away, causing her to stumble and fall. They started laughing, and then Menta teased Chase.

Chase: Okay, I deserved that.

The two pups got up, and Chase hugged Menta, who was surprised but hugged him back.

Chase: I'm glad you're here. At least you are.

It hurt Menta to hear this from her brother because she knew it shouldn't just be her here with him; she needed someone who understood and listened to her too.

Menta: I'll always be here for you. I promise.

At that moment, tears began to run down Menta's cheeks. She was close to crying herself but wanted to show her brother that she couldn't break down.