Jealousy Part 6

The next morning, Ryder enlisted Jager in the team as a spy, given that he had only just saved Skye. Skye spent the entire morning contemplating how to thank Jager.

Chase: What's up, Skye? What are you thinking about?

Skye: Jager.

Chase's cheerful face turned serious.

Skye: He saved my life yesterday. I don't know how to thank him. Any ideas?

Chase just shook his head, but his eyes remained fixed on Jager, who was watching Skye with sparkling eyes.

Skye: Everything okay, Chase?

Chase: Of course.

He smiled at the girl. At that moment, Ryder came down the stairs, calling Menta, Chase, Liberty, and Jager to him. He assigned their patrol locations for the day. Today, the areas were divided among four dogs instead of the usual three. Jager and Liberty headed straight to their positions. Chase also wanted to leave, but Menta stopped him, sensing that something was wrong with him.

Menta: Chase, what's wrong?

Chase answered nervously and disturbed.

Chase: Nothing. Just leave me alone.

Menta had a bad feeling about Chase. She feared he might do something foolish. Instead of heading towards his designated location, Chase went towards Jager's place. Quickly, Menta intervened as she noticed something was off with the boy.

Jager, perplexed, got out of the car, and Chase stood in front of him.

Jager: What's the matter, Chase?

Chase: You know damn well.

Chase started growling, lifting his nose. Jager didn't back down and growled in response.

Jager: I don't know what your problem is, but you better stop.

At that moment, Menta arrived. She didn't even fully stop her motorcycle but placed herself between the two boys.

Menta: Enough! I don't know what's going on, but I want to know.

Jager straightened up, and his growling ceased.

Jager: Chase suddenly pulled me aside and attacked.

Menta now looked at Chase.

Chase: He knows the reason.

Chase continued growling.

Jager: How would I know?!

Jager just raised his nose.

Menta: Enough! Stop playing the puppy.

Chase stopped growling and straightened up.

Menta: We either discuss this here and now, or I call Ryder, and he handles it.

Chase knew that if Ryder got involved, he would be in big trouble.

Chase: Fine. And how do you plan to solve this?

Jager: If you tell me what your problem is, maybe everything will be resolved.

Tension was rising again.

Menta: Enough. Chase, why did you attack Jager?

Chase: He knows...

Menta glared at Chase.

Chase: Well, he... he's after Skye.

Jager thought for a moment and realized he was talking about the cute dog he had saved.