Agreement and Revelation Part 9

Jager pushed Rex to the ground, whose fall had no chance against a trained dog. But he wouldn't give up. Menta watched them trembling. She knew Jager could tear Rex apart, but he hadn't done it yet. 

Jager: Give up! 

Rex: No! Never! 

Jager was getting closer to tearing Rex apart when Menta managed to speak up. 

Menta: P..please... st..stop... th..this. 

Jager looked at the trembling girl on the verge of fainting. He got off Rex and watched Menta. Rex also stood up. The two boys were still angry, but they would do anything for Menta. Rex looked at Jager and snorted, which Jager reciprocated. 

Menta: P..ple..please... d..don't do th..this. 

Menta was already crying as the two boys watched her again. 

Rex: Jager came after us. It's all his fault. 

Jager was outraged and began to growl at Rex. Menta couldn't bear to watch the two boys arguing, so she ran into the doghouse, leaving the two boys alone. Now they sat there together and knew that if they didn't make up, they would only cause more pain to Menta. 

Rex: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped like that. You two should spend more time together. You live here, and I'm far away. 

Jager: No, Rex. I'm sorry I jumped on your neck. I've only just met Menta not long ago. 

The two boys continued to talk. They decided to discuss things with Menta too because Jager would be a better partner for her than Rex. They knocked on the girl's door. 

Menta: Wh..who is it? 

Jager: It's us. Can we talk? 

Menta opened the door. She saw the two boys standing before her. 

Jager: We both apologize for what happened. We hope you can forgive us. 

Rex: And we've agreed. Since Jager will be here with you and you're both from the same breed, I'd like to give him the opportunity to be your partner. 

Menta was surprised. She couldn't find the words. It was as if the two dogs had been swapped. 

Menta: Is t..this serious? 

The two boys nodded simultaneously. Menta didn't know what to say or do. 

Menta: I... I don't even know what to say. I don't think this is the solution. 

They tried to persuade Menta for a while longer, but they couldn't get through to her. Jager went to bed to sleep. Menta and Rex talked for about an hour. Then Menta went to bed too.

Before going to bed, Rex wrote a letter to Menta. 

Rex: I hope you'll be happy. You can always count on me no matter what happens. Oh, and if anyone messes with you, they'll have to deal with me. With love, Rex.

He placed this letter in Menta's house and went to bed himself. In the morning, he left very early while everyone else was still asleep. Menta didn't get up until around half past eight. The evening had exhausted her. When she got up, she saw the letter and read it. Upon leaving her door, she couldn't see Rex's doghouse anywhere. 

Menta: Has he already left?

Menta went into the lookout tower where only her food was left. She ate and started looking for the others. Suddenly, she saw Jager. She went to him and questioned him. 

Menta: Where are the others? 

Jager: They went down to the beach. I thought I'd stay until you woke up. If you'd like, we can also go down.