A new pup Part 5

In the morning, Ryder woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. It was Liberty calling from Adventure Bay.

Ryder: Hey Liberty, what's up on your side?

Liberty: Hi Ryder. There's trouble, and it's not minor. The dogs started disappearing, but I can't figure out the cause. Can you help?

Ryder: Of course. We're on our way. Paw Patrol to the lookout!

Pups: Ryder needs us!

All the pups rushed to the elevator, and for once, Marshall got there first, avoiding the usual mishap. They went up, but instead of putting on their uniforms, they reached the top floor.

Chase: Is Paw Patrol ready for deployment, Ryder, sir?

Ryder: The pups just got a call from Liberty, so gear up. We're heading to Adventure Bay.

All the pups were excited, except Chase, who seemed a bit off. Menta noticed and approached Rider.

Menta: What's going on with Chase?

Ryder: I'm not really trusting that dog, Jager. I've asked Chase to keep an eye on him until we find him a new home, but I'd appreciate it if you could, too.

Menta: Sure, I'll keep an eye on him.

Upon arriving in Adventure Bay, Chase's wounds started to reopen. Menta noticed, and without hesitation, she went to him.

Menta: What's wrong?

Chase: I'd say nothing, but you know me too well.

Menta just nodded.

Chase: Actually, the first time I visited Adventure Bay, they kicked me out, and Rider saved me. I didn't want to come back, but there was a need for us. Back then, I thought I overcame my fears, but maybe not entirely.

Menta: It's normal to feel scared. Even I get scared sometimes, and believe me, everyone else does too.

Chase needed that encouragement. He felt better already. They arrived at the base, and Liberty was already waiting for them.

Liberty: Hey, guys. M...menta?

Everyone was surprised that Liberty knew Menta.

Menta: Hi, Liberty.

Liberty: The last time I saw you, I couldn't even imagine a collar around your neck.

Ryder: Do you two know each other?

Menta: Yes. When I was a stray, I ended up in Adventure City, and Liberty helped me navigate through the seemingly endless maze of the city.

After a short break, Rider assigned tasks. Chase patrolled the southern and western sides of the city, Menta covered the northern and eastern sides, and Liberty, familiar with the city, patrolled the central area. While patrolling, Chase noticed a lonely dog without a collar. He parked nearby and got out of his car.

Chase: Hey...

The dog interrupted.

?: I don't care who you are and where you came from. Just leave me alone.

Chase was surprised by the dog's response and attitude.

Chase: Listen, stranger. I just...

?: I have a name, it's Jager.

Chase: Okay, Jager. I'd like to warn you to take care of yourself and be cautious of your owner, as dogs are disappearing.

Jager pulled back his ears and stood up, revealing that he was a taller German Shepherd.