Hold Tight

"Louis!"

Mark's face lit up the moment Louis stepped into the restaurant. He was waiting by the door.

"Dad," Louis said and pulled his father into a hug. "God, I missed you."

Mark rubbed his back. "I missed you, too, son."

Louis' body warmed at Mark's words. Louis had always known that he wasn't Mark's son by blood, that the only connection between them had been Jay. Louis remembered fearing that maybe after the divorce, Mark would no longer see Louis as a son.

But Louis had always been Mark's son in Mark's eyes.

Still, every time Mark used the words "my son" or "my boy", Louis couldn't help but feel so, so happy and loved.

"You could have gone to our table, you know," Louis said. "No need to wait for me."

"Hush," Mark said. "I didn't mind. But come on now, let's tell the waiter we are ready."

They walked up to the small reception desk and a waiter immediately approached them. It was a teenage boy with a fringe and a very loose wrist.

"Hello, have you booked—Oh my, you're Louis Tomlinson!" The boy's eyes opened wide.

Louis chuckled. "That I am."

"And yes, we have booked," Mark added, kindly.

The kid swallowed. "Um, of course. Under what name?" He fiddled with the iPad in his hands.

"Tomlinson," Mark said.

"Oh, yeah, of course," the boy said. "Silly of me. Please follow me."

They followed the waiter to a small two-person table with a view that overlooked the street below from the window.

The boy handed them their menus. "I'll be back in a few minutes to see if you're ready to order." He was about to leave, but Louis stopped him.

"Sorry, love, are you a fan?"

The boy's face turned red. "A little bit."

Louis chuckled and stood up from where he had taken a seat. "If you want to have a picture, I wouldn't mind posing for one."

The kid's eyes lit up. He could be no more than seventeen. "Really?"

"Sure," Louis grinned. "I don't mind."

Louis watched as the boy fumbled for his phone and held it up for a picture. Louis smiled and flipped the camera off—a signature move of his.

"Thanks so much," the boy said.

Louis grinned. "What's your name?"

"Troy," Troy said.

"Lovely name," Louis said. "Now, it was amazing talking to you, but I'll return to talking with my dad if that's alright."

"Of course," Troy said, slightly flustered. "I'll be back soon."

He left and Louis sat down.

"I love seeing you with your fans," Mark said as he skimmed over his menu. "You're so kind to them."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Louis said.

"I didn't expect anything less of you," Mark said. "I'm just happy that you're still the same person as when you had remarkably less than you do now."

"Of course, Dad," Louis said. "Nothing would change that."

Not long after, Troy came back to take their orders. Mark ordered a pasta dish with sparkling water. Louis ordered mushroom soup with iced coffee with caramel.