Last Christmas

Kinda short, but really cute

- - - 

"I need to buy Christmas decorations," Louis groaned that weekend. There were only about two weeks left till Christmas, one and a half till they would be let on Christmas break.

They were in Louis' house, Harry curled up against his body. He was still breathing heavily from having ridden Louis only minutes prior.

"Why's that?" Harry asked, yawning.

"My family is coming over this year," Louis said.

"Oh, yeah, I think you mentioned that once," Harry said.

Had he? Louis didn't remember. Perhaps he had.

"I need a tree."

"We should go buy a tree." Harry sat up, an eager look in his eyes.

Louis raised his eyebrows. "Together?"

Harry shrugged. "Why not? You have a shitty taste in everything—OUCH! Don't hit me."

"Why, Styles? I thought you liked it."

Harry chuckled. "Okay, touché, but really, we should go buy one. It's only..." He checked the time on his phone. "Four p.m.. I'm sure we can find somewhere that sells."

Louis contemplated that. "Can't we just stay here and have sex all night?"

"We can do that when we return." Harry jumped out of bed and immediately began dressing in his clothes. "Come on, Louis. Buying a Christmas tree is fun. Did you never do that with your parents?"

"We usually found one out in the forest," Louis said, a fond smile on his lips. "Made a whole day of it."

"Okay, doubt we can do that," Harry said, "I have no idea where to find one we can chop down, but we can drive to this place that sells them not so far from here. I saw it when I drove to work here the other day."

"Why... Why do you wanna do this with me?" Louis asked.

Harry shrugged. "I haven't bought a Christmas tree since I was seventeen. I miss it."

Louis' heart ached a bit for the other man.

"What are you gonna do for Christmas?" he found himself asking.

"I dunno, stay home and get drunk on wine? Not like I have a family to celebrate with and I only have, like, one friend."

"Me?"

"Okay, two."

Louis grinned. He and Harry were friends. That was weird to think about, still.

"I'm sure if you hung out with Niall, the two of you could be friends, too. Zayn as well, you talk well together."

"He hasn't asked me to be his friend," Harry said and scrunched his nose.

"That's not always how it works, Harold."

"That's how I make friends. Since third grade."

"And how well has that been working for you?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Get dressed, you lazy bitch, we are going tree shopping."

"So commanding," Louis mumbled. "Jesus."

Harry beamed at him.

Louis' stomach fluttered.

He decided to ignore it.

* * *

They took Harry's car which had a big roof on which they could attach the tree. Louis drummed his fingers against the window. He could feel the excitement bubbling inside him at the prospect of buying a tree. Like Harry, Louis hadn't been tree shopping for years. Well, tree chopping in his case, but he remembered the magic of it. Walking around the tree to make sure it looked good from all angles, measuring it to make sure it wasn't too tall, and then carrying it back to the car, grunting and sweating because Louis' sisters refused to help.