Chapter 3 - Grouping

A week had gone by and nothing much really happened until today.

The teacher walked in and told us to gather our belongings. Everyone seemed frustrated about whatever was happening.

The teacher then said, "I will be placing you in groups of 4 and that will be your seating arrangement for the term." Everyone exchanged glances because at this point, everyone was in their comfort zone, with their own group and had their own thing going on. This would have been a very disturbing change of arrangement and I am pretty sure everyone was sulking about who would be where, who they were fine sitting with and who with not.

Nessira and I looked at one another and smiled sadly because we knew it would be boring to sit away from eachother.

The teacher started taking names and giving places to the students.

Once the groups were built, I looked around to find where Nessira was seated. I saw her with Damian, Zaine and one of our classmate Kiyana. Lucky, I guess. She looked across the classroom and saw me seated so far away. I waved at her and made a sad emoji face and she sent me a flying kiss.

I looked down and just sat with my new group who didn't bother about my presence and were busy doing their own thing.

After a few minutes I hear the teacher calling out my name, "Miyah, will you be comfortable to switch places with Kiyana? She feels cold there..." My face lights up and I look at Nessira as she winks at me, then I look at Kiyana smiling at me. I smile back and give her a small nod and inform the teacher that I will switch my place.

I carry my bag and walk to Nessira and sit beside her smiling widely. Then I looked at Zaine and Damian and pass a 'hello' as I keep my bag away.

During breaks between classes, we all would talk about eachother and get to know things about one another more and more.

After a while, we became so comfortable it felt like we had known eachother for a very long time.

We shared awkward memories in school and things we didn't like about other students in the class, who we hated and why, ones we thought were cool and so much more.

We talked about which teachers were good at teaching and ones who were terrible and didn't stop until tears rolled down our cheeks from the pain in our stomach from laughing so hard.

It felt like we just unintentionally created an indestructible group that couldn't be broken.