Chapter 8 - Overthinking

It was a weekend when I was going to one of my family friend's villa for dinner, so we left in the evening and I reached there after about half an hour later.

My friend, Hester, was waiting for me in her garden and just as I arrived, she quickly guided me upstairs to her room. I just knew she had some tea to tell me.

We sat down on her bed and I immediately asked her, "hey Hester, what's up? Everything okay?" She sighed heavily and she lazily dumped herself beside me, like she was done with life.

I smiled warmly and turned towards her, "I'm listening..." she looked down, paused for a second to gather her thoughts, took a deep breath in and started speaking. "Remember that guy I was talking to? The one I bragged about so much the last time you came?" I nodded slowly, "mhm.." She continued, "I feel like I just wasted a whole lot of time. He was talking to me all sweet and cute but he was just playing. He didn't like me for me, he was just in it for the good bits."

"How'd you know?" I asked out of curiosity.

"A few days ago, I unknowingly got into contact with one of his exes. She showed me a couple of text messages between him and her about whatever happened and so I got even more curious. So, I created a fake account. I texted him from that account and sent him a few dirty messages to see if he would talk to someone else when he was talking to me."

As she was speaking, she started showing me all the pictures, text messages, the fake account and all the replies. I was completely surprised because I could see the change in this guy's tone in the text messages he sent to her, his ex, and to the fake account too.

"So, what did he reply with to the messages you sent through the fake account?" I asked.

She paused again, waited for a few minutes before speaking, and I gave her the time she needed. "He replied, yes, and he sent pictures, ones I didn't want to look at." She sighed and continued, "I liked him for so long, so fucking long. This is what I got." I patted her back slowly and gave her a hug.

Everything she just showed me, told me, just gave me a new perspective to things I didn't ever think could happen. What could I do, I have never been in a relationship, never experienced a kiss, how could I feel what she felt, but I understood how she felt, and I didn't want to feel that too, ever, not until I was very sure of the steps I was going to take ahead.

"You know, you are the strongest person I have ever met Hester. I just want to let you know that you shouldn't worry about these things because I know for a fact you can get any guy you want, and this one, was just a cockroach, so let's forget about him and get fake drunk by drinking coke?" I smile and try to lighten the mood.

She laughs, "I love you Miyah, you're really the best." "That, I am" I reply, winking at her. "Just give things time, and don't get into whatever mess I got myself in, okay?" She told me. "I won't, now come on, let's enjoy and forget about that asshole."

* * * * * * * * * * 

The weekend flew by as if it didn't have time to wait. It didn't but I wish it did.

I came to school and the first person I see is Zaine. I breath in and pass him a smile.

Before I could sit in my place, Zaine spoke, "Hey Mish Fish, I wanna talk!" I look at him annoyed, "again with that silly nickname? At this point, it's better if you call me Mi instead, the fuck is 'Mish Fish'? Hell no!"

He looked at me and said, "okay, Mi, I wanna talk." It was serious.

Nobody was in class, it was just us, "what is it?"

Zaine looked away then back at me, "I like you Mi."

I turned red, but it didn't take more than two minutes for me to remember what Hester said.

"I like you too Zaine, but I don't want a relationship. At least not until I am 18, I just want to make things clear between us, okay?"

He smiled and said two words that made me feel really happy, "I'll wait."

I smiled back at him, hoping I would be ready by then, because I just gave him hope for something I myself didn't have hope for at all at that moment.

Days were slow, and keeping hope for that 'Maybe Someday' just got me overthinking.