Chapter 1

No matter how much time he spent on them, Pete couldn't find a plausible reason behind the large sum of money Tony lost before his death. He read and read again all the accounts but nothing. The first time Pete noticed the incongruence he thought that simply Tony's company lost most of his value after the scandal, but then as he checked more carefully, he realized that it happened right the day before his death and the leak of information.

"Sir, the chief of X Hunter Team is here, may I let him in?" his secretary asked at the phone. Pete took a deep breath, he looked at the clock on the wall and quickly imagined why Alan was there to torment him. He said to let him get to his office and then hung up. Pete shook his head in frustration and looked at Way's picture on his desk.

"Hello Pete! The guys wanted to go out and have some fun, do you want to join us?" Alan asked. Pete's suspicions weren't unfounded. Apparently Alan calculated everything to make his move: it was time to close the office, it was Friday, so it meant that Pete had a day off the following day, he surely didn't have any date planned, Pete was cornered, he couldn't make up an excuse in such a short time, not a believable one at least.

"Fine, but I warn you, don't challenge me again to who drinks more, Jeff threatened me because you complained too much about your headache in the morning" Pete said jokingly. Alan laughed and patted the guy's back. Despite his easy going behavior, Alan knew that Pete spent day and night thinking about Way, and given that the weekend was the most depressive part of the week since Pete basically stayed at home all alone, he wanted to cheer him up a little bit.

"Look who's here! Hello boss!" North said enthusiastically after Pete entered the bar with Alan.

"It's been such a long time! How are you Pete?" Sonic asked, but Kim quickly kicked him from under the table, knowing that such a question would have surely made Pete uncomfortable. Sonic didn't really get the message, since he groaned in pain only to pose the question again.

"Fine... I guess, I've just been busy with work lately... the acquisition of Tony's company wasn't easy and there are still some matters that need to be resolved" Pete responded. Since the topic was quite boring for Sonic, he thanked Pete for his answer and then started teasing North as he always did when he was slightly drunk.

"Shit... why does he always have to annoy me?" Kim murmured, he turned after he noticed that Pete was looking at someone in the distance, and he found Winner and Kenta sitting at a table. As soon as Kenta saw him, Kim immediately looked away, fearing that he could think he was staring at him.

Nobody in the team really knew why there was so much tension between Kim and Kenta, and they quickly learnt that it was better to avoid that topic, since the first and final time Alan tried to address the problem, Kim got so mad at him that he took a day off.

A few hours later most of the team was knocked out: Alan fell asleep and every time he snored Jeff rolled his eyes, wondering how he ended up with whom he called an old man, Charlie and Babe were simply just flirting, and finally Dean and Sonic were helping North, who was vomiting his soul too. Pete went to the counter, he paid for the whole team and walked on his own out of the bar. He heard someone light a cigarette and he stopped.

"You didn't text me back..." Kenta whispered.