Chapter 3

Deep down Kenta knew that when Pete left he wasn't convinced at all and was surely going to continue his restless research, but maybe it was what he really wanted, maybe he just disagreed with his client and thought that it was better for Pete to continue rather than to give up. Kenta was doing the same after all, although the person he loved was alive and at a few steps from him. In fact, some time after Pete left, more or less when Kenta finished his second cigarette, he saw Kim walk out of the bar.

"What's wrong?" Kim asked as he noticed that Alan stopped for a moment when he saw Kenta's silhouette in the darkness. Kim saw that and sighed annoyed, he turned to the chief of his new team, who immediately looked away, since he knew that addressing Kenta's topic was a terrible idea, and said:

"Go on, I'll reach you in a minute..." Kim's words were as bitter as he could, it sounded like although they were addressed to Alan, he actually wanted Kenta to hear them and feel every ounce of resentment and hatred in each word. Alan nodded, knowing that there was no way to dissuade him, and walked to the van with the rest of the group, who seemed quite cheerful because of the alcohol.

"When are you going to leave me alone?" Kim asked.

"I didn't say anything..." Kenta responded.

"Do you think I'm that stupid? Stop it, I don't want to see you around, I thought it was clear when you called me last time" Kim added getting even more annoyed by Kenta's presence.

"Kim, I just..."

"I don't care. You never cared about me so there is no reason to pretend now. I know what you want, you just want a little doll by your side, well, listen here you asshole... if you wanted to stay with me you could have helped me when I needed you the most!" Kim shouted as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I couldn't..."

"Oh... you're right... you couldn't. But you helped everyone else! You even helped someone get all the money, I heard you when you talked to Pete"

"Were you overhearing?" Kenta asked. Kim stepped back for a second, but that moment of hesitation and retreat was a new window of opportunity for Kenta, who grabbed him and pressed him against the wall.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Kim yelled with wide eyes.

"I said I was sorry... I was scared, have you ever been scared in your whole life? I'm sorry... I lo-"

"Don't repeat that sentence, I've already heard you once saying that and I wanted to throw up..." Kim interrupted him and managed to push him away.

No, he didn't want to throw up when Kenta told him that he loved him, he felt betrayed. He still couldn't forgive Kenta for not helping him when he was just a prisoner at Tony's mercy. It felt even worse when he discovered that Pete's escape at the time was possible thanks to Kenta... maybe Kenta simply preferred Pete over him...