Chapter 8

Kenta meditated on that conversation for a while. At first he thought it was best to stay neutral, but then he realized that Babe could easily become a threat. Given his impulsive nature, Babe could easily make a scene and start looking for Way. It wouldn't take long for Way to hear about it and take all the necessary precautions to stay off the radar. Kenta changed his mind, he had to make his move soon.

"Good morning, could you tell Khun Pete that Kenta is waiting for him?" Kenta asked as he reached the secretary at the front desk in Pete's company building. The secretary was about to tell him that her boss was busy, but he quickly interrupted her and said that he had information that could be relevant to Pete. She got over her initial hesitation and called Pete in his office.

"What is it?" Pete asked as he picked up the call, his tone feeling like a mix of politeness and frustration, something the secretary was quite used to in that period.

"Khun Kenta says that he has something to share with you. What should I tell him, sir?"

"Kenta? Let him in, he knows the way" Pete responded and hung up. The secretary turned back to Kenta and repeated what her boss just told her. Kenta politely thanked her and went to the elevator. When the doors of the elevator opened again, he found Pete already waiting for him. The young enigma put a hand on Kenta's back, then he started walking quite rapidly to get back to his office. Pete closed the door and leant on it, as if he was afraid that Kenta could run away for some reason.

"Things have changed..." Kenta said after a moment of silence. Pete looked at him confused, he sighed heavily, as he was getting increasingly annoyed that all the people around him seemed to enjoy a little too much acting mysterious.

"Kenta, if you want to waste my time, you better say it now. I'm not in the mood for nonsense"

"Way is still alive" Kenta replied and looked down. He knew Pete so well that he didn't need to look at him in the eyes to see what his expression looked like.

"What do you mean by that? You're really saying that..."

"That you weren't wasting your time when you looked for him, because he's still alive. I could tell you how he did it, but perhaps you would be more interested in his whereabouts" Kenta added. Pete felt such a sudden rush of emotions that he had to sit down. He looked at the picture of Way he had on his desk and his heart went from desperation to joy and back to sadness for a few times.

"Why now?"

"What?" Kenta actually heard the question quite well, but he wondered why Pete would ask him something like that while just a few days ago he seemed much more interested in finding him rather than getting explanations.

"Why did you change your mind?"

"Charlie participated to the plan to help Way fake his death. He told Babe last night, so I thought it was better to inform you before Way could know about it and take measures" Kenta replied. Pete nodded with a cold expression, he looked around for a while.

"Do you want a moment to... think about it?" Kenta asked, but he got no response.