Chapter 13

"Did it... hurt a lot?" Way asked while they were eating. Pete silently nodded, he wasn't going to pretend he had been ok during that period while he believed Way was dead. He didn't want to make Way feel too guilty about his decisions, but at the same time he wanted to make sure that the lie he had to create to find him was the only one in their relationship.

"I see. I apologize, I thought that it was the best for everyone. I don't deserve your affection after what I did. I managed to look at Babe the first few days after my fake death and he looked so..." Way started, then Pete looked away and interrupted him:

"Devastated... yes. We were all like that, although for different reasons. You should know that Babe has received news about your plan... I suspected something but Charlie told him everything before I could reach the goal. If you feel like you should talk to him for what you did, you can do after we solve the whole Mark issue"

"I'm sorry... I just..."

"Stop it" Pete said a little bit too irritated. Way looked up at him with wide eyes, surprised to see him mad at him for the first time. Pete immediately shook his head and as soon as Way looked down ashamed, Pete lifted his chin to make sure that he looked at him straight in the eyes while he said what his heart felt.

"Sorry, Way... it is just that when I lost you... it is the first time I see you again and I don't want to drown this moment in regret. I shouldn't have acted like that, sorry..." Pete said and took his plate to the sink, given that his sudden burst made him lose his appetite.

"I didn't think someone would care so much..." Way murmured.

"I care... isn't it enough? It had to be Babe... right?" Pete added. He cursed his mouth as he said those words. He knew that they were going to hurt Way but at the same time he knew that he had to say that, otherwise his heart wouldn't have handled the pain any longer.

"No! I swear... I'm so happy that you want to be by my side... I can't imagine how strong your love for me must be to make you go through all this... that's why I went away, because I thought you deserved better! Pete... please... I can't stand looking at you like this..." Way said as he hugged Pete tight, now finally understanding that no matter how terrible his guilt was, he still wished to be worth of Pete's love.

Kenta on the other hand was battling a totally different struggle. The idea that everyone around him was finally enjoying some time with their soulmates, some of them even coming back from the dead, while he was cursed to roam around all alone, was taking its toll.

He went to the pub where the team usually hung out, he ordered a few drinks until he passed out in one of the bathroom stalls. Kim's insults echoed in his ears.