Chapter 10

"I knew I could be an excellent actor" Kenta remarked after hearing his friend's comment. Pete clapped for a while and patted Kenta's shoulder, then he offered him a nice dinner as a reward for his help, since it would have been much more difficult to get Way's location without such a long phone call.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Kenta asked as they were waiting for someone to get their order at the restaurant. Pete looked at his phone, checking the confirmation sent by his secretary after he asked her to book a room at the same hotel where Way was, and replied:

"Tomorrow I'll leave for Phuket, now that we have his location we can't risk to lose him again"

"Wait, what if he comes back here? I mean... I heard what he said, but I can't believe that he wasn't worried at all. It isn't impossible to believe that he will come back to the city to check on you, even if he does it from a distance" Kenta asked.

"You're right, but I'm sure that we will get signals if he decides to come back. If he comes here when I'm in Phuket, he will get worried as he will realize that I'm not at work nor in my house, so he may even call you again... that's when you will strike" Pete responded and took a sip of the wine the waiter had just poured into his glass.

"I see..." Kenta thought out loud.

"However, I don't think anything like that will happen at all. Way seems to prefer extra precautions when he gets to his next move, so he will need time to decide to come back here. Time we will use at our own advantage to get closer to him before he can move again" Pete concluded.

Early in the morning, Pete left the city to get to the hotel. He went there as fast as possible, then, after checking in, he stopped in the reception hall for a few hours, knowing that if Way was going to have lunch in the restaurant, he had to walk through that same hall.

Pete was getting a little frustrated, he thought that maybe Way asked for room service, but at that time it was better to just wait a little longer. Finally he got out of the elevator, Pete slowly stood up and followed him from a certain distance.

When Pete got to the table, he just ordered a salad, wanting to be done eating as soon as possible so that he could leave and follow Way, if the latter decided to leave early for some reason. Pete observed everything, noticing how Way seemed extremely kind with the waiters or anyone who approached him. Maybe he wasn't doing the right thing, maybe Way was enjoying a new life and Pete wasn't part of that life...

At first Pete felt terrible, he couldn't accept the fact that Way looked so happy without him, but then Way's soft smile erased all those thoughts, so Pete changed his plan. When Way left the restaurant, Pete followed him until he found the number of his room. Pete got a piece of paper and wrote something down, then he slipped it through the bottom of the door of Way's room and left.

"Dear Way, I'm sorry that I had to resort to these antics to get to you, but now I understand how important this new life is to you. Seeing you smile just one more time was all I could hope for, and now that my wish is fulfilled, I hope that you will get to be as happy as you deserve. -Pete"