Chapter 9

"Way... please... listen to me, you have to come back as soon as possible. The situation here is getting worse by the day... you can't really want this to happen. Please... I beg of you" Kenta begged as he sobbed through the phone. Way couldn't be more irritated by that. He sighed heavily and replied:

"You should know better than everyone the importance of this... I can't come back, why can't you understand this? If you feel like you can't handle the situation, ask Charlie to do it on your behalf. You couldn't disappoint me more..."

"You don't understand... it's Pete..."

"I know that he's suffering but it is your job to help him move on. That's the reason I gave you all that money, to make sure that you had all the time necessary to stay by his side. Perhaps you should stop following Kim like a dog and snap back to reality" Way responded. He didn't really want to be mean, he didn't even believe what he was saying, but he was sure that it was the only way.

"Pete knows..."

"What do you mean? I thought we cleaned our traces well enough to make it impossible to find me!? Weren't you supposed to impede this from happening?" Way replied getting even more angry. After that, he quickly realized what Kenta meant when he said that Pete's situation was getting worse.

"He found a strange flow of money that led to Charlie's bank account. It took time, but he eventually managed to force Charlie to tell him the truth..."

"Fine... I suppose it is too late to convince him that I'm not alive. How did he handle it?" Way asked with a much calmer tone, although a sense of preoccupation started invading his mind as he suspected what was going to be the answer.

"It isn't going well..."

"Kenta, I don't want to waste the whole day, tell me what happened!" Way ordered as he felt his heart beat faster and faster.

"He had a break down... he blames himself for not being able to get your trust, he thinks that you see him as nothing more than a pawn in your scheme... he is..." and Kenta stopped, as if he feared that there wasn't a word terrible enough to describe Pete's current feelings.

"I... I'm sorry but..." Way stuttered.

"Way, I know that you have your reasons... but I think you should talk to him. I'm not saying that you have to come back to your old life, but perhaps if you could clear things out with Pete, it would help..."

"I can't..."

"Way... please... if you don't want to do it for him, then do it for me... he is the only family I have left... I don't want bad things to happen to him... Way... Way?" Kenta repeated, but the enigma had already hung up. Kenta turned to the person at the desk.

"Excellent performance..."