Chapter 16

Kim ran to Pete's house as fast as he could. His mind was completely empty as he was on his way, for he couldn't think about anything else than Kenta's fate in Mark's mansion. What was going to happen to him? Finally Kim managed to reach Pete's apartment. He knocked on the door several times, it was at that moment that all sort of thoughts started flooding his mind. He couldn't believe that he called Kenta a coward for not helping him while he was with Tony, and now he was risking his life only to keep him safe.

When Pete opened the door, Kim believed he realized the actual reason of Kenta's sacrifice. He didn't do that to save him, but only to make it easier to him to keep his secrets. Doubts were oppressing his heart until Pete, who was still waiting for Kim to take breath after such a long run, finally asked him why he was there.

"Come inside, you will tell me everything after you've calmed yourself. I'll bring some water" Pete said and led Kim to the sofa. The young racer couldn't see it, but Way was spying through the keyhole of the bedroom to see who could come at such a late hour.

"We... we got kidnapped..." Kim said still shocked.

"Calm down first, then you will tell me everything when you're ready" Pete suggested trying to be as polite and comforting as possible, so that Kim could get more at ease and explain what happened more clearly. After a few minutes and a glass of water, Kim took a deep breath and started talking.

"I was at the bar. Kenta was there too, I don't know what was wrong, but he got drunk and passed out in the restroom. I wanted to take him to my car and take him back home, but then someone kidnapped us"

"Do you remember the face of this person? Would you be able to recognize who attacked you like that?" Pete asked as Kim stopped to take another sip of water. Kim shook his head, then he added:

"It was too dark... but I have some other details that will make your research easier. He took us to an house not too far from here. The owner is someone called Mark. The kidnapper also said that Kenta had a lot of things to explain and... and..."

"And what?"

"He said that Kenta knows that Way is still alive. I really have no idea why anyone should say something like that" Kim finished.

"I see... but how did you get here? How did you manage to escape? Since you're here alone, I guess that Kenta is still there"

"Yes... Kenta distracted the guards to let me escape... what do you think that will happen? Why did they talk about Way if he's dead?" Kim asked perplexed and a little worried.

"Because it is true that I'm still alive... and Kenta helped me to made my escape possible. Sorry Kim, but we had to keep it a secret. Even Pete didn't know it until a few days ago" Way responded as he walked out of the bedroom.

"H... how..." Kim stuttered.

"I'll tell you how it was possible, but first we have to get rid of Mark if we want to solve this mess..." Way added and turned to Pete for the final part of the sentence.