Chapter 7

Babe remained silent for a few minutes, it wasn't easy for him to go through all the emotions he experienced with Way. Their friendship, his betrayal and his redemption all played again and again in his head, making him change his mind constantly. He eventually realized that no matter how much he could hate him for his betrayal, his affection for a friend who risked his life to save him was enough to make him accept the happiness of knowing that Way was still alive.

However, a different feeling started corrupting Babe's mind. What if that conversation went differently? Way didn't really have to die to make everything work, it only happened because he wanted to pay for his actions after all. He turned to Charlie and felt a rush of disappointment. He was willing to understand and justify his silence during his mourning, but he couldn't help but think that maybe all that pain wouldn't have been necessary if Charlie hadn't talk like that to Way when he was planning his move.

"Why did you tell him that he had to sacrifice himself for us?" Babe asked.

"I wanted to make sure that he couldn't change his mind. I know you care about him, you've been friend for so long, but you can't ask me to ignore the pain you experienced because of his selfishness" Charlie responded, as he could easily imagine where his impulsive boyfriend was rerouting the conversation.

"It was my pain, not yours. You had no right to interfere like that. Do you understand that you traded Pete's happiness too?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Babe, you don't care about Pete being happy or not, you just want a reason to blame someone else... Do you really want to blame me? Very good, go on! If I could go back in time, I would do it again and again, because it was the right thing to do! You can forgive him as much as you want, but you can't expect me to do the same..." Charlie said as his eyes flooded with tears.

Babe refused to listen to him any further and went to sleep on the couch for the rest of the night. Charlie knew that it was better to inform Kenta as soon as possible, since they were the only people who knew about Way's plan, except for Pete, who was slowly getting closer and closer to the truth.

"I'm sorry, I told him..." Charlie texted him in the middle of the night. Surprisingly his message quickly received an answer, since Kenta couldn't sleep too.

"I see..."

"Don't be mad at me, I couldn't see him like that anymore" Charlie added.

"Don't worry, I don't blame you. To be honest, I think it is just a matter of time... I tried to convince Pete to stop his research but to no avail. It won't take Pete much more to get to the truth... unless he get crazy before he reaches it" Kenta responded.

"Wait, do you think there is that risk?"

"Yes, I've never seen Pete so... you know what I mean"

"What would you do if that happens?"

"Easy, I won't let it happen. You told Babe the truth because you couldn't handle seeing him in pain anymore. My feelings for Pete had long since turned into a brotherly affection... but it doesn't mean that I will accept to see him destroy himself just to let Way do as he wants... the more I look into it, the more it seems that nobody had anything good from this plan"