Chapter 17

The following morning Pete asked his secretary to bring all documents regarding Tony's business to his office, so that he could find all possible links between Tony and Mark. At first he didn't find much, but then his secretary came back, telling him that there was someone who wanted to meet him. Pete knew that if his secretary didn't tell him the identity of the guest, it was useless to ask it, so he just ordered to let the guest in. Pete hid all the papers and waited patiently.

"Nice to see you again, Pete... My name is Mark. I think we met once at Tony's facility. You were just a talented boy back then... you really became a handsome young businessman. Tony would be proud to see you all grown up" Mark said as he entered. He knew that Pete had a crucial role in Tony's downfall, but neither him nor Pete were going to drop that act so fast.

"I don't know how proud he would be... but it is surely such a pity that he didn't live long to see all this..." Pete responded. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't recognize that person. He didn't look any difference than any other of Tony's associates. He sat down and gestured Mark to do the same. Mark remained silent for a moment, long enough for both of them to analyze their opponent, then he finally made his move.

"It is such a tragedy that Tony died so early. I heard that you took what was left of the company, perhaps we could reach an agreement, unless you've already found other people with better offers" Mark said. Pete smiled a little, if that's how Mark wanted to play, then he was going to do the same.

"That's right, but don't get the wrong idea of me, when I took it, most of its resources were already gone. I'll be frank with you, I didn't get any other offer, so I actually wanted to dismantle the remnants of the company to take what is more valuable, but now that you're here, I may find your offer more... interesting"

"Yes, I heard about a substantial loss from the company. I wanted to..." Mark continued, but then Pete interrupted him.

"Before we continue, there is a matter I would like to discuss first" Pete said. His opponent seemed a little confused at first, but then he nodded and let the young CEO continue what he was saying.

"I must select wisely those whom I work with. I know that you're holding someone hostage. I'm not really against such practices... sometimes you need a straight forward approach to get what is yours... however you will understand that I'm a little skeptical to start a cooperation with someone who could risk a scandal that could stop our business"

"You don't have to worry about how I handle some minor issues" Mark replied.

"I'm sure you know how to do it, but maybe you could tell me why you ordered to kidnap this person. It is important to me to understand what you deem so serious to necessitate such drastic measures" Pete added.

"I can do much more. Why don't you come to my house today? 7 p.m., I don't see why I should hide something from a trusted child of Tony" Mark replied.

"Trusted?"

"Of course... Otherwise I don't see why Tony wouldhave let you go and live your life on your own. He surely trusted you a lot"