Chapter 18

The next day, Gu Yan rose early to go to court as usual. Ye Zi also didn't stay idle. He stayed in the manor to teach his newly purchased cockatoo.

Ye Zi was able to communicate with flowers, birds, and plants in a simple way so it naturally wasn't difficult to teach a cockatoo. Ye Zi taught a few simple birthday greetings, fed it some rice and millet, then heard the familiar sound of a birdsong from outside the window.

A small gray sparrow flew in from afar. Ye Zi opened the window for it and the small gray sparrow flew in. However, once it saw the parrot, it immediately blurted out a reproach: "Little Leaf, how dare you raise other birds!"

Ye Zi lightly laughed: "Where have you been these past few days? Why haven't you come to the Prince Rui Manor?"

The little gray sparrow jumped onto Ye Zi's shoulder and said with a puff of anger, "You are half-hearted and always change your mind, I won't tell you!"

Ye Zi froze and asked helplessly, "Where did you learn those phrases again?"

"Naturally, from a book." The little gray sparrow glared with obsidian eyes and said aggrieved, "I heard that you became the Princess Consort so I rushed back to see you. But it turns out, you actually took a liking to another bird!"

Ye Zi was silent for a moment and said sincerely, "Be good, Little Sparrow. You should read less of those nonsense books, they are turning you bad. Also, I am giving this bird as a gift, I'm not keeping it."

"......Really?"

"Yes, really." Ye Zi assured, "I don't like other birds, I only like you."

Gu Yan, who had just stepped into the courtyard and heard his Princess Consort say that he liked some other person: "......"

The little gray sparrow was startled and immediately flew towards the door, but was caught by Gu Yan with a hand. The little gray sparrow fluttered its wings twice but was unable to move at all because it was clutched tightly by Gu Yan.

Ye Zi called out anxiously, "Your Majesty!"

Gu Yan glanced at him and returned the little gray sparrow to him: "Is this a little demon too?"

The little gray sparrow jumped in Ye Zi's palm and argued, "Hmph, I'm not a demon!"

Gu Yan reached out and poked the little gray sparrow, causing it to fall back into Ye Zi's palm: "What is it saying?"

If you aren't reading this on acupofhalfmoon.wordpress.com, then it has been reposted without permission. Please don't give ad revenue to them and come join us for tea. I promise we don't bite.

"It said it's not a demon." Ye Zi stroked the little gray sparrow's feathers soothingly, "Little Sparrow has only opened its spiritual consciousness so technically it's not a demon yet."

"It can't turn into a human?"

Ye Zi shook his head: "No."

Gu Yan's mind was put at ease: "That's good."

Ye Zi didn't hear him: "What?"

"Nothing." Gu Yan didn't say more and asked him, "Are you hungry, should I have someone prepare lunch?"

Ye Zi nodded, brought the frightened little gray sparrow to the bird cage, and distributed some cockatoo food to it.

The little gray sparrow was aggrieved: "He is so scary......"

Ye Zi agreed silently and comforted: "He was just playing around with you, don't be afraid."

The little gray sparrow asked, "Little Leaf, didn't you want to leave this place? Why did you stay and become the Princess Consort?"