Chapter 23

Emperor Jinghe narrowed his eyes dangerously.

Having been in a high position for many years, he had heard plenty of hypocrisy and it had been a long time since he had met anyone who dared to speak to him like this. He felt a little fresh for a moment, and re-examined Princess Consort Rui.

Ye Zi wasn't afraid and looked at him calmly.

Ye Zi's face was small with exquisite features and a pair of eyes as bright as stars. His figure was considered slender among men and he looked very weak, which made him look like an easy target to others.

But it was such a person who used a bamboo chopstick to penetrate the skull of a goat running wildly in the chaotic hunting ground. And under the current Emperor's order, which was half deliberative and half coercive, he calmly said that he was unwilling.

With just that one word, Emperor Jinghe knew that this person was not as easily manipulated as he appeared to be.

He closed his eyes and suddenly understood why Gu Yan was so infatuated with this person alone.

But since he had already spoken, there was no reason to take it back.

After a while, Emperor Jinghe spoke and his voice became cold: "What if We insist on making you agree?"

Ye Zi's expression didn't change, as if he wasn't surprised that Emperor Jinghe would say that.

He bent down, touched his forehead to the solid ground, and said in a low voice: "Over my dead body."

"Bastard!" Emperor Jinghe got up abruptly, "Gu Yan is Prince Rui and has a precious body. Allowing you to stay by his side is the greatest grace We have given. To actually.....actually....."

He was so angry that his breathing was slightly uneven.

Emperor Jinghe turned pale with anger, picked up the teacup, and took a sip before continuing: "Three wives and four concubines are common. Not to mention the fact that you are still a man who cannot bear children and cannot continue the bloodline for him. Who are you to threaten Us here?"

Ye Zi said, "Your Holiness, I beg your pardon."

Emperor Jinghe's expression eased a little until he heard Ye Zi continue: "I come from commoners so I don't know the rules. I only know that Prince Rui and I love each other. In this life, we only have eyes for each other and no one else can interfere."

"As long as I am the Princess Consort for a day, I will not allow any concubine, male or female, to appear beside Prince Rui."

With a crisp sound, the white porcelain tea cup shattered in front of Ye Zi, splashing tea on the hem of his clothes.

Emperor Jinghe gritted his teeth: "Get out."

Ye Zi kowtowed and left as he was told.

The Imperial tent was lifted and the sky outside was completely dark. There were no stars or no moon in the sky, as if wrapped in a thick ink that could not be melted.

Gu Yan was standing outside the Imperial tent.

When he returned to their tent after dining with the Empress Dowager, he learned that Ye Zi had been called away by Emperor Jinghe, so he immediately hurried here. But Emperor Jinghe had instructed not to let anyone in, so he could only wait outside.

At this moment, when he saw Ye Zi finally coming out, his anxious heart finally calmed down.

Ye Zi knelt inside for too long and now that he was more relaxed, he felt that his legs were numb and weak. He was about to walk forward, but suddenly staggered and fell into an embrace.