Chapter 22

Gu Yan didn't disturb him again and Ye Zi soon fell into a deep sleep. His sleep was hazy when he was awakened by a loud noise. When he opened his eyes, Ye Zi was surprised to find that he was standing at the edge of the hunting ground.

On the hunting ground, Gu Yan was riding on a horse. He was skillfully shooting arrows with his bow as he shot three long arrows in a row toward the sky. The field once again erupted in awe and cheers. Ye Zi looked upward against the sun and saw three eagles falling down from the sky, landing neatly in the center of the hunting ground.

Ye Zi was slightly lost in thought until the shallow sound of horses' hooves came closer from afar. He looked up and Gu Yan looked down at him from his horse.

Gu Yan opened his mouth and there was a look of satisfaction in his eyes: "How was it?"

Ye Zi said: "Your Highness's archery skill is as good as ever. The top prize in this hunt will definitely be yours."

Gu Yan said disdainfully: "Every year, it's the same few losers who participate in the hunt. If they want to catch up to me, they are still a few hundred years too early."

He paused before adding: "I'm curious. Since you're so skilled in martial arts, how are your riding and shooting skills? Why don't I ask His Holiness for a favor and let you participate as well and we'll have a competition. Anyway, it will definitely be more exciting than competing with those losers."

"Your Highness's body is precious, this lowly one doesn't dare to compete with you."

A flash of displeasure passed through Gu Yan's eyes and he didn't say anything else.

He jumped off his horse before walking up to Ye Zi, grabbed the canteen in his hand, and took a drink: "If I win the top prize this year, I will petition His Holiness to grant me the wish of not marrying for a lifetime."

Ye Zi's eyes shrank slightly: "Your Highness——"

Before he finished speaking, he stopped abruptly.

Gu Yan didn't seem to notice and said sarcastically: "Who let that old thing, Wen Shuhou, insist that I marry his daughter? Will his daughter be unable to get married if I don't accept her?"

Ye Zi pursed his lips and advised in a low voice: "But Your Highness shouldn't risk the rest of your life like this. You are still young and will feel that marriage is a burden if you haven't met the person you like. However, if you meet someone later, you......"

Ye Zi looked up and met Gu Yan's gaze.

Suddenly he couldn't finish his sentence.

Gu Yan had grown extremely fast over the years and was already a few inches taller than Ye Zi, with an indisputable majesty faintly showing between his brows.

Gu Yan stepped forward and pushed Ye Zi against the tree, looking at him with downcast eyes: "Huaiyuan, I've always wanted to know, what position are you using to manage me? Is it just because Imperial Grandfather entrusted me to you or......some other reason."

Ye Zi lowered his head: "Because I was entrusted by the previous emperor."

The smile in Gu Yan's eyes gradually faded away and he said in a cold voice: "If that's the case, since I've already passed my coming-of-age, you don't have to care about what I do in the future."

......

Ye Zi opened his eyes and sat up violently from the bed.

The tent was slightly warm and fragrant, filling his nostrils with every breath. Ye Zi pressed on his suddenly throbbing temples and a fine layer of sweat was forming on his forehead.