Chapter 20

After Gu Yan got Pei Ge to put on a show, there were finally a few days of peace and quiet on Great Princess Rui's side.

Three days later, the Imperial decree arrived. In order to celebrate the Empress Dowager's birthday, the Spring hunt would be held in advance. All the Princes, nobles, ministers, and officials above the third rank in the capital were required to bring their family members to participate.

On the day of the trip, there was a long line of exquisite carriages and horses on the streets of Chang'an, and the people of the city greeted them on both sides, making it very lively.

Ye Zi and Gu Yan rode together in the same carriage and he lowered the carriage curtains to block out the noisy sounds of the outside world.

Ye Zi poured a cup of tea for Gu Yan and handed it over: "Your Majesty, please have some tea."

Gu Yan took the teacup from Ye Zi and said indifferently: "When will you stop being so polite with me?"

Ye Zi froze as Gu Yan sipped his tea: ", you are my Princess Consort. If you keep treating me like this, outsiders will say we are not in harmony."

Ye Zi lowered his head: "I will be careful in the future."

Gu Yan let out a light sigh: "I am not lecturing you."

He extended his hand towards Ye Zi: "Come here."

Ye Zi paused and obediently walked to his side, and before he could sit down, Gu Yan suddenly put his arms around his waist and pulled him to his side.

Ye Zi's whole body turned stiff and he struggled subconsciously.

Gu Yan's voice rang in his ears: "See? Even though it's been so long, you're still so nervous when I touch you."

"This time, the people present at the Empress Dowager's birthday banquet and the Spring hunt are all Princes and nobles and there will be many pairs of eyes on us, both explicitly and implicitly." Gu Yan stared at Ye Zi for a moment and laughed lightly, "If you are like this, how can you fool those old foxes?"

Ye Zi's cheeks burned and he tilted his head to the side, not wanting to be noticed by the other party as he muttered: "I obviously fooled them quite well."

Yesterday, he had followed Gu Yan into the palace to wish the Empress Dowager an early birthday. He also gave the little cockatoo to the Empress Dowager, coaxing her to be comfortable as she smiled from ear to ear.

Remembering Ye Zi's eloquent appearance in front of the Empress Dowager, Gu Yan's heart tickled and he gently pinched the other party's reddened earlobe: "You can talk so well in front of outsiders, why do you act so honest when you're in front of me?"

"I'm not acting." Ye Zi shrunk a little and analyzed seriously, "In front of outsiders, I am Princess Consort Rui, naturally, I have to show the appearance that a Princess Consort should have. But in private, you are the Prince, I can't lose track of the rules......"

Gu Yan sighed heavily in his heart.

It was really as Ye Zi said. In front of the outsiders, Gu Yan asked him to cooperate in everything; showing mutual respect and endless show of love and his acting skills were as good as the real thing. But in private, he would just follow the rules and never overstep. Gu Yan didn't have a chance to further the relationship between the two.

He could see but couldn't eat, how uncomfortable that was.

The noise outside was getting louder and louder. The carriage shook for a bit before coming to a stop.

Ye Zi took the opportunity to escape from Gu Yan's embrace. He got up and poked his head out, asking the carriage driver: "What's wrong?"

"Replying to the Princess Consort, it looks like someone is blocking the road in front."