Chapter 21

The tent went silent where even a needle drop could be heard. The Duke of Protection stood up hastily and bowed to Gu Yan: "Have mercy, Your Majesty. Yi'er is a martial artist and doesn't understand the rules, please don't take it to heart."

Gu Yan cast him a glance, not buying it at all: "I hope that the Duke will take good care of his own son. If he is not properly disciplined, I don't mind doing the honors."

Since Gu Yan expressed his position, Emperor Jinghe acted as a peacemaker. After he said a few perfunctory words, he brought this topic to a close. Unable to get his desired outcome and was even glared at a few times by the Duke of Protection, Wen Yi kept a gloomy face throughout the dinner and didn't dare open his mouth again.

Once the dinner banquet was over, Gu Yan brought Ye Zi back to their tent.

It was late at night and Ye Zi was so tired today that he was about to call it a day. The two of them were about to rest when an announcement suddenly came from outside the tent: "Your Majesty, Commandery Princess Changning requests an audience."

Ye Zi was taken aback.

It was late at night, what was Commandery Princess Changning doing here?

Gu Yan thought for a moment and told him to rest first before he put on an outer robe and headed out of the tent.

Commandery Princess Changning stood alone outside the tent and bowed to Gu Yan: "Greetings, Prince Rui."

Gu Yan replied indifferently: "What is it?"

Wen Zhi didn't say anything and looked at the attendants behind Gu Yan with some discomfort: "May I speak with you in private?"

Gu Yan replied emotionlessly: "That's not necessary, it's not appropriate for the Commandery Princess to be alone with a man."

Wen Zhi bit her lips and said in a low voice: "The reason for Changning's arrival is simply to apologize. During the banquet......my elder brother spoke out of turn, it was an unintentional mistake, I hope Your Majesty will not take it to heart."

As she spoke, she took out a small wooden box from her sleeve and handed it to Gu Yan.

Wen Zhi continued: "This is a small token of appreciation not worthy of mentioning, but I hope that Your Majesty will forgive him."

Gu Yan didn't take it and asked: "Did the Duke send you here?"

Wen Zhi avoided his gaze for a moment and didn't answer.

"Pushing a woman out at the first sign of trouble, the Duke's behavior truly is amazing." Gu Yan sneered and snorted, "This Prince doesn't want to make things difficult for a woman, you can go back. Whether it's to apologize or to ask for forgiveness, let Wen Yi come himself."

Wen Zhi lowered her head, imperceptibly answered, turned her head, and left.

Gu Yan turned around and just so happened to catch the back of a figure hastily slipping back to the tent.

Ye Zi lay back on the bed and also took the extra step of pulling the quilt to cover himself as he pretended to have fallen asleep.

Gu Yan raised his eyebrows, pretending not to notice.

Ye Zi poked his head out from under the quilt, staring at Gu Yan's back with a dazed expression.

Since he arrived at the Prince Rui Manor, he had never heard Gu Yan speak like that.

Gu Yan washed up, walked to the bed, bent down, and pinched his face: "Not pretending to sleep anymore?"

Ye Zi sat up: "I wasn't pretending in the first place."