Chapter 18 : Rhyhorn's Talent

As Orion expected, Cedric nodded and said, "Alright, I'll arrange for food for your Rhyhorn."

He thought, 'I was planning on lecturing him to not be dependent on others as a Pokemon Trainer, but considering what he has been doing, he'll only take bigger risks and go deeper into the wild. Even with one Pokemon, it's too risky. I know Lady Sabrina asked me not to interfere, but this can't be considered as an interference as he came to me asking for help.'

Orion smiled and said, "Thank you, Master."

Cedric said, "You should meditate for some time in your room. Keep the Rhyhorn in your Pokeball. I'll find you once I have arranged for food."

Orion nodded. He patted Rhyhorn's back and said, "Hang on for some time, buddy."

He recalled Rhyhorn and went to meditate. Cedric made a call to the agency that supplied him with Pokemon food for his Pokemons. He obviously didn't intend to buy Pokemon wise food for Orion's Rhyhorn. That would be too expensive and very pampering. But he wasn't so cheap to buy ordinary food.

He decided to buy type wise food. In fact, he went one step further. Even among the type wise food, the basic was that it would be food fit for one type. For instance, Rhyhorn could eat the food of either Rock type or Ground type. However, since the most common Rock type Pokemons in Kanto also had Ground typing, the food companies had also developed food for Pokemons having both Rock and Ground typings.

Of course, it was more expensive. However, it wasn't as expensive as Pokemon wise food. Cedric was informed about the price being 75 thousand Pokecoins per batch of food which generally lasted for around a month. However, he haggled the price down to 50 thousand Pokecoins by informing them about a talented youngster who could become a huge client in the future.

While Cedric was arranging for Pokemon food, Orion was contemplating a rather important matter. Though it appeared that he was meditating, in truth, all his attention was focused on that matter. He wondered, 'Should I test to see what Rhyhorn's talent is?'

In this world, all Pokemons have a particular talent which gets categorized into different levels. Pokemon Trainers had noticed it centuries ago. As for the levels, they needed a long time and experimentation to be decided and publicly accepted.

However, a few decades ago, humanity had taken a massive leap ahead by inventing the machine that identified the talent level of Pokemons. Unfortunately, it was under a monopoly. They strictly controlled all the machines they manufactured, ensuring that they could rack in profits for centuries.

The company did have a branch in Saffron and Orion could go to check as the cost of checking per Pokemon wasn't expensive. However, he was in a dilemma whether he should or not.

After analyzing the pros and cons for a long time, Orion sighed and decided, 'I won't test it. If Rhyhorn has Iron or Bronze talent, then I'll feel reluctant to put all my efforts into him and he will feel demotivated. On the other hand, if my luck is crazy good and he has Gold or Platinum talent, then I'll attract several greedy eyes.

A Gold talent Pokemon could sell for tens of millions of Pokecoins. While an unevolved Platinum talent Pokemon could go into billions. If that becomes known, I'll be in great trouble. After all, I am just an orphan. Though Cedric might have some Platinum talent Pokemons, I'm afraid that even he'll be tempted to make a move, let alone any stranger.

I am still too weak to be able to protect such wealth. In fact, if Rhyhorn really has Platinum talent, then I'll likely end up dead somewhere very soon. Though highly unlikely, it is too risky. I can't take such a risk.'

Orion made his decision. He planned against checking the talents of his Pokemons until he had some degree of strength to deter any greedy fellows.

He thought, 'The main disadvantage of this is that I won't be able to choose high talent Pokemons for my initial few Pokemons. Only once some of my Pokemons reach level 40, I can start taking risks as I'll be close to an Advance tier Trainer.

Though it will slow me down a bit, the alternative is even more risky than me heading out into the wild. After all, if my previous world taught me anything, it is that humans are far more treacherous than animals!

Besides, I already have my Rhyhorn. I can use the next three years to rapidly level it up by constant fighting. Reaching level 40 in 3 years isn't too far-fetched even if he has a low talent. Though beyond that it'll get quite difficult. I'll need to catch a few more Pokemons during this time and raise their levels as well. That way, I'll be prepared by the time I have to go on a journey.'

After deciding, Orion began meditating. An hour later, Cedric received the delivery of the food. As he walked towards Orion's room, he suddenly thought, 'Though I decided to help Orion out so that he won't take any big risks, I need to make sure that he doesn't see this as a license to take big risks in the future as well.

It will be troublesome if he decides to catch more Pokemons with the help of his Rhyhorn. I should have a talk with this boy.'

Cedric reached Orion's room along with an employee who dragged the food cart along with him and knocked on the door. Orion immediately got up and opened the door and saw Cedric along with a middle-aged man with tanned skin and an average build.

Cedric introduced him, "He is Harland. He works in the company that delivers my Pokemon food. He'll be delivering the food to your Rhyhorn as well."

Orion quickly smiled and said, "Thank you, Mister."

Harland smiled and thought, 'What a polite child.'

Harland handed Orion the packets of food he had brought with him. He also gave Orion a few complimentary gifts like a couple of bowls to help feed Rhyhorn. With his guidance, Orion poured the food into a bowl and released Rhyhorn, who immediately began eating.

While Rhyhorn ate, Harland explained to Orion how to feed Rhyhorn and what portion sizes to give in normal as well as in special circumstances, all of which was quickly noted down by Orion. After passing all the information, Harland took his leave.