Chapter 19 : Rhyhorn's Moves

Cedric asked, "Do you still have any doubts?"

Orion shook his head. Harland was very professional. He explained everything before Orion could even ask it. Cedric said, "Good. Since this is your first Pokemon, I will be bearing all the expenses of Rhyhorn's food until you receive your official starter and go on a journey around Kanto. Are you aware of the different types of Pokemon food?"

Orion nodded. Cedric continued, "Good. The food I ordered for Rhyhorn is made specifically for Pokemons having both Rock and Ground types. It falls under the category of type wise food, but is slightly better in quality.

If you want to become a strong Pokemon Trainer, then you can't feed your Pokemon ordinary food. That doesn't give them enough energy to fight and train on a regular basis. In the future, when you catch any more Pokemons, contact me so that I can arrange for food to be delivered according to your new Pokemon's type. However, you will have to bear all the costs of the new Pokemon's food."

Orion's mood immediately became slightly depressed. He thought, 'That sucks. Guess I can't take advantage of him. Sigh, he is an Elite Trainer, why is he being so petty to a little kid? Shouldn't he be looking out for the most talented Psychic student currently in the Gym? Sigh, I read too many novels in my previous life…'

Needless to say, Orion didn't show his feelings on his face other than a dejected face. He said, "Thank you for helping me out with Rhyhorn, Master. Could you tell me how much type wise food costs?"

Cedric answered, "Since Rhyhorn's food is made for two Pokemon types, it costs 50 thousand Pokecoins per batch. If your next Pokemon has just one type, then it'll generally cost between 10 to 15 thousand Pokecoins per batch depending on the type.

However, if your Pokemon is of Psychic type, then you can get the Pokemon food for free from the Gym as we order plenty of it."

Orion looked at Cedric and wondered, 'Is he telling the truth, or is it just his way of making me raise more Psychic Pokemons? Oh well, it doesn't matter. Catching and raising one or two Psychic Pokemons will be a great help. Even if their talents are low, they could take the role of protecting me in the wild from sneak attacks.'

Orion said, "Alright. Thank you again, Master."

Cedric nodded. He stayed with Orion until Rhyhorn was safely put back in the Pokeball.

The next morning, Cedric handed Orion a device. Orion immediately recognized it and asked, "A Pokedex? Don't only official trainers receive this?"

Cedric answered, "It is a copy with the same features. We have it in case any student catches a Pokemon before becoming an official Pokemon Trainer. You'll get the official one in time. That said, this has the same features.

It'll identify any known Pokemon that you scan with its camera and tell you its brief description. The most important feature is that it is able to identify the levels of Pokemon. So, you'll be able to track your progress."

Orion immediately said, "That's cool."

He quickly released his Rhyhorn and scanned it. Immediately, Rhyhorn's picture was displayed along with its level. The Rhyhorn's level was 7! At the same time, a voice was heard from the Pokedex, "Strong, but not too bright, this Pokémon can shatter even a skyscraper with its charging tackles."

Cedric said, "Whenever you go into the wild, you should turn down the volume to zero. Wild Pokemons are very sensitive to voice. You'll be surrounded in no time. Also, don't depend on the Pokedex in the wild. No Pokemon will wait politely for you to look its information up.

You should learn to identify the approximate level of a Pokemon from its aura. As for the Pokemon's identity, type, characteristics, weaknesses and strengths, you should be able to identify all that at a glance."

Orion nodded and said, "Alright, Master."

Cedric looked at the data in the Pokedex and added, "Hmm, level 7. It looks like he defeated several Pokemons when he was attacked before you found him. His level should have risen due to that. Otherwise, a Rhyhorn this young shouldn't have been over level 4 or 5. Since he was in a desperate situation, he might have also learnt more moves instinctively. Come with me."

Cedric brought Orion and Rhyhorn to a training ground inside the Pokemon Gym. He said, "You can train your Rhyhorn here. But pay attention all the time. If it feels like he is running towards the building or someone else, call it back immediately. If an accident happens, I'll take the Rhyhorn from you until you are mature enough to handle him."

Orion immediately became alert. He said, "Don't worry, I'll be careful."

Cedric nodded and asked, "Did you look up the data and moves of Rhyhorn?"

Orion nodded. It was what he did on the day Rhyhorn was admitted to the Pokemon Center. He said, "A level 7 Rhyhorn should know Tackle, Tailwhip and Smack Down. Though it is possible that he knows some egg moves as well."

Cedric nodded. He had looked upon it as well. He said, "Ask your Rhyhorn to try the attacks on that target. Don't worry about Rhyhorn breaking it. It is strong enough to resist much stronger attacks and isn't made of hard enough materials to injure the Rhyhorn."

Orion nodded. He shouted while pointing, "Rhyhorn, use Tackle on that target!"

Immediately, Rhyhorn began rushing towards the target and slammed his head into it. Immediately, he bounced one step back. Surprise could be seen on his face as he saw the target post still staying erect. He began observing the target.

Without Orion giving any order, Rhyhorn began wagging his tail in a cute manner confusing Orion. A few seconds later, he tackled the target once again but bounced back in the same manner.

Orion watched with a deadpan expression, 'What the fuck? Was that supposed to be the Tail Whip attack? And was that supposed to be cute?'

Cedric could see his expression and said, "That was the Tail Whip attack. It is generally used for the enemy Pokemon to lower its guard and not think of Rhyhorn as a threat. It could also be distracted by its tail movements and not pay attention in the battle. It provides you with an opportunity to attack.

However, don't count on this too much. Finding a high level Pokemon who would get distracted by this will be harder than finding a needle in a haystack. Even at a low level, a Pokemon might not fall prey to this tactic."

Orion sighed and thought, 'I guess status moves are much more different in this world. Can't have a 33% drop in defence with a single Tail Whip… I wonder how buffs work…'