Chapter 28 : Don't use Rhyhorn!

For the next few days, Orion stopped going outside the city and waited until Machop recovered. Since he had a safer way of getting used to fighting with Machop, Orion decided to choose that instead of going into the wild again.

After Machop recovered, Orion checked out his moves. Machop was most used to using Bullet Punch followed by Low Kick and Revenge. He also knew Leer and Focus Energy. He also worked on their coordination

He was about to go find some Trainers who still hadn't left the city when he ran into Emma who looked exhausted. Orion chuckled and said, "Looks like you took my advice seriously. How is the Dojo?"

Emma dejectedly replied, "It's horrible. My entire body aches."

She quickly regained her composure and said, "I went there because Master Cedric also recommended tha… What are you looking at?"

As she was speaking, she noticed Orion's eyes focusing on her waist. Remembering that Orion pulled her cheeks the last time, she immediately became very alert. Orion asked curiously, "Since when did you get a Pokemon Belt? Did you get a Pokemon too?"

Emma replied, "Yes. I have my first Pokemon as well."

Orion immediately connected the dots. He muttered, "Don't tell me that Master Cedric gave you one because you surpassed me in Psychic…"

Emma didn't answer. Just a small smile appeared on her face. Orion cursed internally, 'That geezer! Why couldn't he give me one too? Still, this isn't bad. I could spar against her. However, my Pokemon's level will increase as I travel outside. I guess I can just spar with her whenever I catch a new Pokemon. Anyway…'

"Which Pokemon did you get?" Orion asked. Seeing how much Cedric lectured him, he knew that it would be a Psychic type. As he expected, Emma answered, "He gave me a Meditite."

Orion nodded and said, "A Psychic and Fighting type. Not bad. Its evolution, Medicham, is quite strong."

'Or well, at least its ability is. Mega Medicham with Pure Power could be a menace. A shame that I haven't heard about any Mega Evolutions in this world. I wonder if they don't exist or that no one has discovered that mechanism yet or if Mega Evolution happens in some different way.'

Emma smiled and said, "Yeah, she is. Master Cedric was going to take me to fight against new trainers. I was about to meet him. It will be my first fight."

Orion smiled and said, "Oh, that sounds fun. I'll tag along."

As they walked, Emma asked, "Did you fight any Pokemon Trainers?"

Orion shook his head and answered, "No. Last year's new trainers had already left before I got Rhyhorn. And fighting older Trainers would be pointless as they will be too strong for us."

Emma nodded. The two of them reached Cedric's office. Cedric was surprised to see Orion with Emma. He asked, "Do you want to fight new Trainers too?"

Orion nodded. Cedric understood that Orion wanted to train Machop. He said, "Alright. I am still busy with some work. I'll meet you at the entrance in half an hour. Freshen up or eat your food until then."

Emma and Orion nodded and left. Emma went to take a bath while Orion went into the cafeteria to grab some more food. As he was eating, Cedric suddenly teleported behind him and said, "Orion, come with me to the office."

Orion was surprised. He followed him while thinking, 'Don't tell me he lied that he was busy because I showed up.'

It was exactly as Orion guessed. On reaching his office, Cedric asked, "Orion, which Pokemon are you planning to use in the battles?"

Orion replied, "Just Machop. Rhyhorn would win too easily thanks to the level difference."

Cedric nodded approvingly, "Good. Don't use Rhyhorn in any fights, even if you lose. There is one other thing. You caught both Rhyhorn and Machop in the wild. So their natures are very aggressive as compared to the Pokemons the League hands out.

So, you need to ensure that your Pokemons don't try to kill their opponents. Your aim is to only make them faint and not to kill them, understood?"

Orion nodded. Cedric added, "Good. One other thing, don't tell anyone that you caught your Pokemons in the wild. Also, don't fight with Emma unless you have a Pokemon that is of the same level as hers."

Orion realized, 'I guess he doesn't want Emma to follow my footsteps either. If I fight her, she'll wonder how my Pokemons keep levelling up and might eventually follow me in the wild…'

Orion replied, "Sure."

Cedric said, "Good. I'll meet you at the entrance after 25 minutes. You can leave for now."

As Orion left, Cedric thought, 'While he is reckless with his own life, it is a good thing that he isn't recklessly influencing everyone. Otherwise, I am afraid that the majority of my students would die even before they begin their journey…'

Orion entered his room and called out Machop and Rhyhorn. He said, "Machop, we will soon be fighting other trainers. Are you ready?"

Machop flexed his muscles and exclaimed with confidence, "Machop!"

"Rhyhorn?" Rhyhorn exclaimed puzzled, as if asking why he wouldn't be fighting. Orion chuckled and replied, "They are new Trainers, Rhyhorn. They won't be a match for you. I'll have you fight if I come across an experienced Trainer."

Rhyhorn nodded. Orion turned his attention towards Machop and said, "Machop, the battles we will fight now won't be Life and Death battles like you used to go through. So don't try to kill our opponent. Stop when it faints or the opponent quits. Also, no attacks on the Trainer, alright?"

Machop was surprised. Every battle he fought so far was a matter of his life and death. So a friendly battle was a foreign concept to him. Regardless, it didn't sound too bad and he nodded. Orion spent some more time telling Machop and Rhyhorn about how Pokemon Trainers battle each other.

25 minutes later, Orion and Emma met Cedric at the entrance. Cedric asked, "Are you two ready?"

Both nodded. He said, "Good, follow me."

Cedric led the two of them to the parts of the city where most of the new trainers hung around challenging their peers to combat. Unlike in the original story, where a Trainer started their journey as soon as they received a Pokemon, the Trainers in this world spend a few weeks getting used to commanding a Pokemon and fighting along with it. Everyone would normally leave the city in around 2 to 4 weeks.

Generally, their parents would take care of their expenses for this time as well as their first journey. The only ones who couldn't do so were orphans whose parents didn't leave behind anything for them. Orion and Emma were lucky to have awakened Psychic powers, but the others from their orphanage will have a very hard time.

Cedric said, "You can challenge anyone you want, but stay close to me so that I can keep an eye on both of you."

Emma and Orion nodded. Orion looked around and saw several other adults with the kids as well. He guessed, 'I guess they too want to make sure that nothing bad happens. If a Pokemon attacks the Trainer, then the Trainer will die unless he or she is prepared. Oh well, so who do I beat up first?'

As Orion and Emma were looking around, a few kids saw them. Seeing their small size, they grew a bit confident and a couple of them approached them.

One of them asked Orion, "Hey, are you looking for a battle? My name is Roland, let's fight!"