Chapter 22 : Diverting the Headache

Rhyhorn immediately began running. Orion made him slow down before they entered the city, otherwise Rhyhorn would definitely crash through a few houses before coming to a halt. He returned the Rhyhorn to his Pokeball and went to the hospital where he was when he entered this world.

Injuries due to Pokemons were rather common as accidents happened frequently. As a result, Orion wasn't questioned too much. Thankfully, Rattata's tail wasn't poisonous and hence Orion's injury was only external. He was healed very quickly by a Chansey who used Heal Pulse on his left forearm.

Of course, the pain didn't disappear that quickly and he still needed to wear a white bandage around the injured area for some time until the pain went away.

Orion walked back to the Gym, but his mind was constantly analyzing his first Pokemon battle. He thought, 'This world is brutal. Both Rattata directly targeted me instead of fighting against Rhyhorn. I now see why new trainers have such a high death rate. With just one Pokemon, as long as we are surrounded by Wild Pokemons, death is almost certain! Even more so considering that the Pokemon they have is a low level Pokemon that they have just received.

I should be careful when facing two or more Pokemons at the same time. If one keeps Rhyhorn busy while the other attacks me, I'll be in big trouble.

Another point I need to consider is ranged attacks. If I meet a slightly higher level Pidgey who can use Gust, I'll be in trouble.

I was right. The role of the tank is the most critical one in the team. I might even need to get two. Additionally, I need to improve my combat abilities as well. I need to improve my Psychic abilities to a level where I can use them against Pokemons directly. Even if I can stop them for a few seconds, it'll be very helpful.

In addition, I need to develop some fighting skills with Dojo's help as well. It'll be helpful if I can last a few seconds against Pokemons as well. Though it won't be useful against high level Pokemons, by the time I go out to seek them, my team should be ready.

I guess the important question for now is, should I continue going outside and fighting wild Pokemons or should I stay in the city until my Psychic powers and fighting skills improve to that level?'

Orion thought about the entire time he walked back to the Gym and entered his room. After thinking for several hours he decided, 'It'll take years until I reach a level where I can hold my own in a fight against Pokemons. If I don't go outside the city, then that will mean that Rhyhorn won't be able to level up much. I won't be able to earn money either, which means I can't catch my second Pokemon.

If that happens, then when it's time for me to go on a journey, I will only have Rhyhorn, the Psychic starter Gym gives me and a random one that Pokemon League gives me, with the latter two being only at level 5.

That's several times more risky than the risk I faced today. It looks like I have no choice but to keep going. Not to mention, today was a good lesson. I got distracted by the gore caused by the battle. In the future, I can't let myself be affected by it. In addition, I also need to keep my eye on all Pokemons. Ignoring even one, even if it has been hit, can be dangerous for me.'

Orion nodded and muttered, "It'll be the best if I keep going. Once Rhyhorn's level rises, the amount of threats I face will decrease. Then I can consider going slightly deeper to get stuff that I can exchange for more money."

Having made up his mind, Orion just decided to rest for the day. The next day, he decided to intensify his training and even approached a trainer in the Dojo to teach him martial arts.

A couple of days later, Orion was on his way to the Dojo when he ran into Emma. She noticed the bandages on his left arm and asked in concern, "How did you get hurt? Are you alright?"

Orion said, "It's fine. It was just a scratch. I fell down during training."

Emma looked at him and asked, "Are you sure?"

Orion nodded and said, "Yeah. Anyway, how are you doing? I haven't seen you for a while."

Emma replied, "I have been busy meditating. I can now lift 250 grams of weight. What about you?"

Orion said, "That's good. You are almost catching up with me. I'm at 280 grams. Master said that we will progress more rapidly after we can lift 1 kg with our Psychic powers. I guess it's a race till then."

Emma nodded and said, "I'll get there first."

Orion smiled and said, "Good luck."

He thought, 'She might actually beat me there. After all, the time I can spend on meditating is far less than hers. Oh well, it doesn't matter much. I already have a good head start.'

He said, "I'll be heading to the Dojo. See you later."

Emma saw him leave. Suddenly, her eyes landed on his belt and the Pokeballs on it. She exclaimed loudly, "You have Pokemons?"

Orion turned around and thought, 'Shit, I was in a hurry and forgot to hide the belt…'

Emma quickly walked until she was standing very close to him and asked as if she was interrogating him, "How did you catch Pokemons?"

Orion replied, "I just have one. The rest are empty."

She immediately asked, "How did you catch one? When did you catch it? And, how did you get Pokeballs?"

Just like her, Orion was an orphan. He wasn't supposed to have any money. So she didn't understand how he got them.

Orion wondered, 'Now, what do I tell her? I can't tell the truth. If she goes into the wild as well, then there is a good chance that she will die. Though she is quite smart and mature for her age, it is impossible for her to consider everything like I did. Not to mention, even I messed up a few times.'

Emma asked again impatiently with her face very close to Orion's, "Well? Tell me!"

Orion replied, "It's a bit complicated. I just got lucky. You can ask Master Cedric about it. See you."

He immediately rushed out of the Gym before Emma could realize it. Noticing how quickly he escaped, a pout formed on Emma's face as she thought, 'That meanie ran away without telling me anything again! Hmph, I'll ask Master!'

She immediately went to find Cedric and began grilling him about how Orion got his Pokemon. Just like Orion, Cedric too fell into a tough spot.

He thought, 'That boy… Not only does he make me worry, but he also creates more trouble for me! Still, it's good that he didn't tell her the truth. Not everyone will have the luck of surviving in the wild. But, what do I tell her?'

After thinking for a bit, he replied, "Orion was lucky to catch the eye of a trainer who saw him train. He rewarded Orion with a Pokemon and some Pokeballs. If your Psychic powers exceed Orion, I'll help you get a Pokemon as well. However, you are not allowed to tell this to anyone."

Emma's eyes sparkled on hearing that. She immediately said, "Thank you, Master. I won't disappoint you."

She immediately left and began meditating. Cedric's smile changed into a tired expression as he thought, 'Now not only do I have to spend money for Orion's Rhyhorn's food, but I also have to buy one Pokemon for Emma. Since when did being an instructor in the gym become such a costly affair?'

He sighed and muttered, "Leave it. Both are dedicated and promising kids. If they grow without dying, then this will be a good investment."

While Orion got busy building his strength and levelling Rhyhorn, Emma focused entirely on increasing her Psychic abilities. Unknown to the other kids of their age, both would soon build a significant edge over their competitors!