Chapter 41 : Failure

Orion was moving through the tunnel oblivious to the fact that he had been detected and would soon come under attack. Fortunately, his Pokemons weren't the same.

Rhydon felt the movement happening in the ground above him. Even before him, Kadabra sensed that several Pokemons had gathered just above them. Even Machoke, though he couldn't sense anything, instinctively felt danger.

"Kadabra, kadabra."
"Rhy, Rhydon."

Kadabra was the first one to inform Orion about the danger. Rhydon soon followed up and informed Orion that someone was digging into the ground above them and making their way to the tunnel!

Orion immediately became very alert. He knew that he had to be very careful as it would be very bad if he got surrounded. He quickly thought and asked, "The movement is happening right above us, right?"

Kadabra and Rhydon nodded. Orion said, "Good, let's retreat some distance and see who is digging down. Kadabra, prepare Teleport in case we can't handle it."

Orion and his Pokemons quickly retreated a few dozen meters. Around half a minute later, some vine whips dug straight through the ground and appeared inside the tunnel. Orion's eyes twitched as he wondered, 'Did they seriously attack underground with Vine Whip? Can Vine Whip be used in such a manner? More importantly, is it even wise?'

"Kadabra, use Confusion. Rhydon, use Rock Blast." Orion instructed. Kadabra's eyes glowed blue as he used Confusion on the vines, freezing them in their paths. Moments later, the rocks Rhydon fired hit the vines and forcefully dragged them to the opposite end of the half-constructed tunnel, slamming them painfully between the rocks and the ground.

The pain immediately made all the Grass type Pokemons withdraw their vines instinctively. Even so, Orion understood that stealing would be extremely difficult now that he had been discovered. He said, "Kadabra, teleport everyone out."

Kadabra nodded. His Psychic energy covered all four of them and they disappeared from the tunnel. Around a kilometre away from the Victreebel colony, in a place Orion had recognized to be safe earlier, the four of them suddenly appeared.

As soon as they appeared, Rhydon and Machoke used Protect. It was the safety precaution Orion took in order to ensure that he didn't fall prey to an attack like how Abra did.

Fortunately, nothing was happening at that location. They only saw a young Mankey who was startled by their sudden appearance and escaped without looking back.

Even so, Orion frowned on seeing the Mankey and thought, 'Even though I chose a location that doesn't have any hive, it might not be entirely safe in case some wild Pokemons decide to gather or fight around that spot. I should have Rhydon dig small underground bases and use them as Teleportation points. That way, the risk will be minimized.

"Ma..cho..ke…"

Orion's attention was immediately attracted by his Machoke sighing. He was expressing disappointment that their first Grand Heist was a failure.

Orion chuckled and replied, "It's fine to fail. After all, those Pokemons aren't brainless. The most important factor is that we came out alive and without any injuries. As for heists, we will soon be carrying a lot of them.

Even though we failed today, we also learnt a lot. For starters, I didn't think that they would be able to detect Rhydon digging the tunnel even though the tunnel was 15 meters below the ground and Rhydon did it so silently. I'll do better research to check how deep the tunnel should be to avoid detection."

Orion's Pokemons nodded, agreeing with his analysis. Orion said, "Anyway, let's return to the city. We will try again with a different colony sometime later once I am done with the research."

"Rhy?"
"Kadabra?"
"Machoke?"

Orion's three Pokemons looked at him with questioning glare. Orion was surprised by their sudden change and wondered, 'What's up with these three?'

He asked, "What happened?"

"Rhy… Rhydon!"
"Kadabra"
"Machoke!"

Orion watched with a deadpan expression as the three of them said the same thing. Rhydon said that he wanted to fight. Kadabra reminded him that they hadn't fought for nearly a month. Machoke said that he wanted to fight strong opponents.

Orion asked in a deadpan tone, "What's the use of fighting weaker Pokemons? You can spar among yourselves in the Gym. You three need to be fit and unharmed for us to plunder safely."

"Kadabra… Kadabra… Kadabra"

Kadabra said that they already knew every move of each other. So sparring wasn't very fun. In addition, they were confident of defeating Pokemons without getting injured. He also added that they could come across higher level wild Pokemons if they got lucky.

"Machoke"
"Rhydon"

Machoke and Rhydon immediately agreed with the points Kadabra made. Seeing his Pokemons being so stubborn, Orion sighed and decided to let them break loose for a while. On that day, several wild Pokemons around Saffron City had a terrible day. Orion's three Pokemons fought enough to make up for the month they had been working on Protect.

After returning to the city, Orion began researching how well certain Pokemons could detect underground movements, what would be a safe distance to create a tunnel and so on. After a couple of days, Orion had collected enough information to try again.

He set out in the wild with his Pokemons once again. This time, they were even more enthusiastic. Orion's target this time was a Vileplume colony. As he had decided, he made Rhydon dig out a small underground room around 800 meters from the hive.

Kadabra memorized the location so that he could teleport the entire team there in the blink of an eye. While he did so, Rhydon sealed the entrance to the underground room, trapping the entire team underground. Needless to say, it was what Orion had instructed.

Kadabra teleported the entire team above the ground and they quickly made their way to the Vileplume colony and began observing. Once again, Orion started in the same way. Rhydon used Bulldoze to send multiple shockwaves into the colony.

-----------------------------------
A/N : If you want to, you can support me on Patreon.
Link - www.patreon.com/demigod9
(No space)
Patreon has 12 additional chapters right now.

Thank you Terrance, AJ, Gabriel, Nicholas, Johnny and This is a Cure for Boredom for supporting me on Pat reon.