Vixen and Raven

The bathroom sink is cold on my fingers. I close my eyes picturing myself in the mirror, as if that will somehow draw me closer to remembering what I've forgotten. It's been nagging at me more persistently. That lingering feeling that I'm still missing something. It's like, I can see all the pieces, but I can't put them together. 

It's just like what Adrien said about puzzles. Don't treat me like a puzzle. It's okay, I'm always puzzling over myself far more than useless models like him. 

I squeeze my eyes tighter, praying for something to come back to me. 

Rain is dripping down from Paris skies. The sky is crying. The sky certainly has a lot to cry about. His hands sliding up my back. My back against the railing of the Eiffel Tower. His warm, green eyes. Those stolen moments in the light of the star encrusted sky. 

My eyes snap open. I was here before. I've been here before. No, not just in Paris, I've been here before. In this mansion. 

"Vector?" I flip open my bag. "Have we met before?" 

"I thought you'd never remember me!" 

I stare at the tiny raven. "I don't. But I know that I've seen you before. I'm not crazy at all, am I? Something happened to me. Something happened—here." I stomp my foot lightly on the floor of the Agreste bathroom to prove my point. "That's why I've been hearing Chat Noir's voice in my head. That's why all this crazy shit is happening and that's why Chat Noir told me not to tell anyone." 

"Y/N, you know I love you, but I can't say what happened, because it will interrupt the events to come," Vector tightens his wing in a fist — is that even possible? 

"Why not?" I sound like a baby, but this secrecy is getting to me. 

"You're almost there," Vector encourages. "Keep thinking out loud, girlboss. C'mon. It's all in that clonky arse head of yours." 

"Clonky?" I brush off the insult. "Chat Noir and I were a thing back then...the first time." 

We sat on the rooftop together. He was always teasing me. It's why I can picture him so clearly. His face, his words, the curve of his lips...the way he talks. His peppy, annoying, endearing smile. 

"Yeeeesssss—" Vector cheers. "Continue, continue, continue, continue, continue—" 

"And then, Hawkmoth found out," I add. "...I was his apprentice." 

Vector screams in anticipation. 

"I was the original Raven." 

"YESYESYEYSYESYES—" 

"Hawkmoth was trying to steal the Miraculous of Ladybug and Chat Noir for something," I'm word vomiting now, trying to get everything out before it fades away again. "I was best friends with Marinette Dupain Cheng, that's why I called her Mari. It was my nickname for her. And then..and then..the illusion that Hawkmoth cast made me forget everything." I squeeze my hands to my head. "I figured out Hawkmoth's identity. I was planning on betraying him and he got me first. Vector, do you know what this means?" 

"YES?" 

"Hawkmoth is...Hawkmoth's identity is Adrien Agreste!" 

Vector face palms. "God, you're as stupid as Karen from Mean Girls." 

"Hey!" I roll my eyes. 

"Just transform into Raven, okay? I think you'll have a lot better time figuring it out if you just —" 

"Vector, let's fly!" 

"Whoa you remembeeeeeeee—-" 

*transformation sequence* 

Standing on the top of the Eiffel Tower, I have a much better perspective of things. Everything and everyone is so small. They're meaningless people, drifting through meaningless lives. If they're lucky enough, they'll find someone that draws them out of the sea of suffering and throws them into a much greater purpose. I had a someone like that once. 

Or at least, I think I did. 

Vector doesn't think Adrien is Hawkmoth, but I have my other theories. Adrien's always been extremely suspicious around me. He's close with Marinette, possibly to discover my secrets, and he lives in the Agreste Mansion where Hawkmoth originally cursed me. 

But then there's the issue of Chat Noir's true identity. If he's so trustworthy — god — if he's the only trustworthy person, then I should be able to figure out who he is. Especially if I've kissed him. Especially if we did more than that. 

My voice message from Mom tells me that she already went home. I told her I was staying a friend's house after the show and that I'd be back the next morning. 

The breeze ruffles my hair, and spreads tiny air currents through the spaces in my feathers. It's a familiar feeling, this costume. This high position on the tower. 

I used to work for Hawkmoth. What would've driven me to be on the side of evil? 

The sound of an alarm blaring startles me out of my thoughts. 

"RUN! AKUMA!" Screams echo down from the streets below. People are running for their lives, and I soon spot the culprit. There, flying through the sky as clear as day, is Vixen. Her expression is fury, mostly because people don't even recognize her. They think she's an Akuma. 

I stifle a laugh, until I realize she's leaping towards me. I register her attack much too late and she's already knocked me out of the air. Her hot breath on my face burns as her scream of anger rips through my ears. 

"Nice — to —" I struggle against her iron grip. "—see you — too." 

I manage to land a punch to the side of her head which stuns her enough that she loosens her grip. I slip out, kicking her in the side. My reflexes are slowly coming back to me. 

But not fast enough. She lands a pathetic slap on my face before I blast her in the stomach with my elbow, causing her to lean over — wheezing. 

Then, the real Akuma shows itself.