Chapter 1-18: Beware the BUDDY System

Early in the morning, Launchpad called me and Dewey, asking us to meet him in what used to be a small parking garage at the base of the manor’s hill. Apparently, he lives there and fixes the limo on his own every time he breaks it. When we get there, he has us watch Darkwing Duck while he gets changed for some kind of ‘big day’. The TV zooms in on the city of Saint Canard, and a Jack in the Box plays before exploding.

One of the show’s villains, Quackerjack, laughs maniacally, saying, “Child’s play.”

Another villain, Megavolt, cries out in anger as bulbs around him break, and he exclaims, “No! I will avenge you, my bulby brethren. Who would dare?!”

A large cloud of purple smoke descends upon the two villains, saying menacingly, “I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the little rollerskate at the base of villainy’s staircase. I am… Darkwing Duck!”

The villains start running away before he finishes, Quackerjack exclaiming to him, “Playtime’s over!”

I chuckle as Darkwing mutters to himself, “Man, I gotta get a shorter intro.”

He runs after the villains, leaping over rooftops, and finally swings off of a building, landing on Quackerjack.

He exclaims one of his signature lines, “Let’s get dangerous!”

Megavolt fires electricity at Darkwing Duck and Liquidator launches water at him, but both miss as he uses a grappling hook to dodge their attacks, making them hit each other and convulse in pain.

Launchpad holds up two differently stained shirts, saying to us, “Big day, guys. Mustard stain or ketchup stain?”

Dewey answers immediately, “Mustard. Looks less like blood.”

I ask, “Why not wear an unstained shirt instead? Nevermind, I know who I’m talking to. They’re probably all stained, knowing you.”

After watching the TV for a few more minutes, Dewey asks, “What is this weird show?”

Launchpad reels back with his mustard-stained shirt on, and exclaims, “Woah, what? Darkwing Duck, the greatest show of all time!”

Dewey says, “Ha, maybe when you were a kid. This hero guy doesn’t shoot lasers or anything!”

I say, “This is a live-action show, Dewey. They didn’t have complex CGI to do that stuff at the time. Hey LP, who plays the hero guy again? He looks kinda familiar.”

Launchpad responds, “That ‘hero guy’ is Jim Starling. He was an old-school actor who did all his own stunts.”

I say, “That couldn’t have been great on his body long-term.”

Launchpad says, “Sure, he got banged up in later seasons…”

Darkwing on the TV trips and smacks into the camera, but grunts, “Ow, ugh. Keep rolling!”

Launchpad continues, “But that just made him even more heroic!”

Dewey asks, “Why didn’t he just use CGI?”

I respond, “I just told you a minute ago, they didn’t have the tech for that at the time. Remember the original Goose-busters movies, right? All that was just puppets and practical effects, and you loved those movies, remember?”

Launchpad chuckles, saying, “Real heroes don’t need high-tech special effects or basic safety precautions.”

I mutter, “Pretty sure you actually do need that second one.”

Launchpad finished getting changed, pulling his cargo jacket on, and asks, “So, Dewey, Izzy, how do I look?”

Dewey gives him a thumbs-up, and I just shrug, saying, “You look pretty much exactly the same as you usually do.”