𝟎𝟎𝟗.𝟓

𝟎𝟎𝟗.𝟓

Back at the Plaza, Thalia pulled Percy aside

Back at the Plaza, Thalia pulled Percy aside. "What did Prometheus show you?"

Reluctantly, he told her about the vision of May Castellan's house. Thalia rubbed her thigh like she was remembering the old wound.

"That was a bad night," she admitted. "Annabeth was so little, I don't think she really understood what she saw. She just knew Luke was upset."

Percy looked out the hotel windows at Central Park. Small fires were still burning in the north, but otherwise the city seemed unnaturally peaceful, Juliet was up there resting, she hadn't opened her eyes since he had left her with Lee. "Do you know what happened to May Castellan? I mean—"

"I know what you mean," Thalia said. "I never saw her have an, um, episode, but Luke told me about the glowing eyes, the strange things she would say. He made me promise never to tell. What caused it, I have no idea. If Luke knew, he never told me."

"Hermes knew," Percy said. "Something caused May to see parts of Luke's future, and Hermes understood what would happen—how Luke would turn into Kronos."

Thalia frowned. "You can't be sure of that. Remember Prometheus was manipulating what you saw, Percy, showing you what happened in the worst possible light. Hermes did love Luke. I could tell just by looking at his face. And Hermes was there that night because he was checking up on May, taking care of her. He wasn't all bad."

"It's still not right," he insisted, remembering how shattered Augustus looked the first time he met his father. "Luke was just a little kid. Hermes never helped him, never stopped him from running away."

Thalia shouldered her bow.

"Percy," she said, "you can't start feeling sorry for Luke. We all have tough things to deal with. All demigods do. Our parents are hardly ever around. But Luke made bad choices. Nobody forced him to do that. In fact—"

"I would never feel sorry for Luke" Percy interrupted her, Luke was high past the forgiveness level for him, "But nothing justifies Hermes either, and I'm saying this as a friend of Augustus."