car rides to malibu - three

a/n - please voteee

i look up, smiling at gracie. i check the time on my watch, "three minutes late. i've been waiting here for half an hour." "half an hour?" gracie asks, putting her hand down to me. "worked out a bit before you came," i answer, taking my hand in hers, "so... might be off my game a little bit." gracie chuckles, pulling me up, "excuses." 

we get into a steady jog. "are you taking me your normal route?" i ask. "yep," gracie says, "it's quite scenic. especially with the sunrise right now."

we end up running about 1 and a bit miles. "how was that?" gracie asks, smiling as she places her hands on her hips, catching her breath. "pretty good! kept up well, didn't i?" i ask, catching my breath as i smile back. "more or less," she shrugs, chuckling. "hey!" "kidding! you did well, y/n," gracie says, "that was fun. we should do that more." "we should," i say, "do you wanna grab a drink before i head back?" "you read my mind."

we line up to get a smoothie. "what did you want?" i ask gracie. "a mango smoothie sounds great," she tells me. "alright, my shout," i say. "no, i can't do that," gracie chuckles. "no, trust me! it's all good. it's your reward for being my first... malibu-ian friend and running with me," i chuckle at the name, gracie laughing.

olivia's pov
the door opens, and i look up from my phone. y/n walks in, wearing work out clothes, half-drunken smoothie in hand. she looks at me with a smile, "morning." "morning," i respond, "worked out?" y/n hums, "want some?" she walks up to me, and i take her drink. "what is it?" i ask. "fine pine mango," she smiles. i give her a weird look. "pineapple and mango, duh," she says, chuckling. "right," i chuckle, "thanks." "i'm gonna shower," y/n says, turning around and walking away as i take a sip.

i look at y/n as she walks out of the bathroom, hair slightly wet. she was smiling at her phone, typing a second later. i could only guess who she was talking to.

i haven't stopped thinking about y/n. i know i shouldn't think about her this much. it's not like we're dating, it's not like we're going to. i should've known from when she agreed to kiss me like it wasn't a big deal. because it wasn't a big deal to her, and it was only to me.

i sit on the couch in the living room after breakfast. the house was a open floor plan, which gave it that beach feel. i've always wanted an open floor plan... it was just so family-like. 

y/n takes a seat on the couch, leaving a bit of a distance. "what're you watching?" she asks, referring to the movie that i put on. "um, 'anyone but you'," i answer. "right, 'course," she nods. "have you seen it?" i ask, looking at her. "i have," she nods, "it's pretty good." "yeah," i say.

"do you want chips?" y/n asks, a few minutes later. she stands up, and i look at her, "i'm gonna go see what chips there are." "okay," i smile at her, before looking at the tv again.

y/n comes back with pringles, sitting closer to me. "i know you like sour cream and onion pringles, so," she hands them to me after opening them. i smile at y/n. she always remembers the small things about me. "thank you," i tell her, reaching my hand in the container. 

i offer the pringles to y/n after taking a few. "thanks," she says, reaching in. she takes a few out, and i look at the tv. "hey... do you wanna go to the beach with me?" y/n asks, "i feel like we've barely hung out."

i look at y/n, "do you want to?" "i wouldn't have asked if i didn't want to," y/n chuckles. "alright, let's go," i smile, turning off the tv.

we walk the beach, ice-cream in hands as we felt the sun on us. "i wonder why seagulls always go for our food," olivia says, beside her. "because they're hungry," i tell her. "i know, but shouldn't they be scared of us? like pigeons," she explains. "well, ask them yourself," i say. "yeah, i will when they steal my hot chips," olivia says, making me smile at her. i keep my eyes on olivia for a little longer as she keeps a smile on her, staring ahead.