complicated - three

a/n - please vote!

y/n's pov
i smile as i see olivia's mom when we walk in. "oh, y/n!" she exclaims. i chuckle, walking over to her and giving her a hug. "hi, jenn. i haven't seen you in forever." "i know, i missed you," she says, and i close my eyes as she comfortingly hugs me back. "i'm gonna start packing," olivia chuckles, and i turn around to her after pulling away. "alright," i smile. olivia smiles at me, looking at her mom and walking upstairs.

"it's nice that you and liv still hang out," she says as we get onto the inevitable topic of liv and i, "she still really loves you." i didn't know how to respond, but she continues. "do you still love her?" she asks. "i mean... obviously i do. i always will." "in the way you want to date her again?" she asks. "i'm gonna wait for her," i nod, staring at the photograph of baby olivia on the wall, "but... it just matters if she wants me again." "she still wants you," jenn chuckles. "no, you don't know that," i shake my head, "i don't know if she does anymore. she took her necklace off. i know it sounds stupid... saying it out loud, so maybe i'm just overreacting."

jennifer stands beside me, looking at the pictures of olivia when she was a lot younger. "she told me about that," she says, "i'm gonna tell you something about that day, okay?" i look at her, nodding. "i got home from work late, just before olivia was going to bed. she walks to me as i opened the door, and she starts bawling her eyes out to me as she hugs me," she explains, and i take a deep sigh, "and she said that you noticed as soon as she walked in, and she couldn't stop thinking about how sad you looked the whole day, especially when you realized. when you guys broke up, that was the first time in years that olivia slept in my bed with me that night because she couldn't sleep since she was crying so hard."

i try not to cry myself as i think of olivia crying because of me, "i didn't mean to make it a big deal. i tried to hide it, i pretty much prepared myself for it.. if, or when she took it off." "she told me you took yours off, too," she says, looking at my neck before i look back at the pictures. "i didn't want her to feel weirded out, that i kept mine on," i say, "if she was okay with it, i would've kept it on forever." "it's... just give her time, okay, y/n? you guys are so madly in love with each other," she gives me a slight chuckle, "you two remind me of her dad and i." "thank you," i tell her, "and.. i'm sorry that i made olivia cry." jenn gives me a small smile, "it's okay. it's part of love, sometimes. you just have to forgive each other, you guys are still so young." "but... what if she finds someone else? and they're actually the one for olivia? could you imagine how much she would love them, because i wasn't the right person?" by now, i had tears forming in my eyes at the thought. jennifer sighs, pulling me in for a hug, "don't think of it like that. you are the right person for olivia, and i'm not just saying that. thank you for always treating her well. plus... if olivia dates someone else, just know you're always gonna be my favorite." i chuckle sadly, "no, don't say that. if olivia dates someone else, i'm sure they're a good person. hopefully." "no, i can say it with confidence," jennifer laughs, "just don't give your hopes up, okay?"

i pull away from jenn with a light sniffle, "thank you." "of course," jennifer says, "you're an amazing kid, y/n. the best i've seen. olivia would be incredibly stupid to not go back to you." i sigh, taking the tissue she gives me as i wipe the tears that finally escaped. "i don't want olivia to see me like this," i chuckle to jennifer, even though olivia's seen me cry a few times. she had told me she would fall deeper in love with me when i was vulnerable to her, and i felt the exact same way, but it was different now.

before i head up to olivia's room, i give jennifer one more hug. "thank you for talking to me," i say, "you're an incredible mom." jennifer laughs, "i try to be, y/n. feel free to text me if you're having any doubts."

i look around olivia's room as she packs a bag. not much has changed. i look at the frame photograph of olivia and i that i had given her, placed on her shelf above her piano.