Chapter 2

As the contestants arrived in London, days later, for boot-camp, Harry and Louis met up again at the Wembley Arena and hit it off instantly. Louis took a picture with Harry and got him to sign it. "I know, in my heart, you're going to make it big.", he had said. Harry just smiled and shook his head. He had always had a hard time believing any compliments he'd get.

As the contestants got past the various stages of the boot-camp, the competition got difficult. Louis, being the self-depreciating guy that he was, knew better than to believe he was going to get through. He'd made loads of friends, Harry being the closest of them all. He did not want to let go, he did not want to be let go of.

Before they knew, they stood on the platform where their entire lives could be made or vice versa. For Louis, if he did not get through, it was the end of everything. He could not see himself doing anything other than music. His head hurt as he thought of what the future would be like if he got sent home. He looked up as he heard someone approaching him. Harry. "Hey.", Harry whispered as he hugged Louis real tight. "Haz, I am scared.". Louis replied in a whisper. He tightened his grip on Louis and the two found comfort in each-others' embrace as the other contestants lined up to be told their fate.

Soon Simon started calling out contestants that got through from 'the boys' category. Harry and Louis stood next to each other, holding each other's hand for comfort. It was down to the last two contestants and both their hearts threatened to beat out of their chests. They were already tearing up, heads pounding. And soon enough, Simon called out the next two names and it was not either of them. It felt like all hell had broken loose and like the world would come crashing down. But it was out of their hands now.

With slumped shoulders and tears streaming down their faces both of them made their way backstage. The guys that hadn't gotten through were either crying or sitting in a dark corner trying to think of how to go from the point that they were at.

Louis caught a glimpse of Liam Payne, the guy who had auditioned two years ago as well only to be sent back from the judges' houses. Liam was having trouble breathing as sobs tore through him.

Amidst all the commotion that had broken out, what with the contestants leaving, cheering, talking or crying, a crew member asked the contestants that hadn't gotten through to the next round to gather round. He started talking about how the judges wanted a few of them back on stage. He started calling out names that the judges wanted and both Louis and Harry could see a sliver of hope.

"Zayn Malik" and the crowd of contestants parted to let Zayn through, then "Liam Payne" and then "Niall Horan".

The crew member flipped through the list that he held, drew a breath and loudly said, "Harry Styles" and a smile broke out on Louis' face because he'd known since day one that the guy was going to make it big. Harry hugged Louis and went to stand with the other three guys.

"And last but not the least", the crew member quickly glanced at the contestants and said "Louis Tomlinson".

This could not be happening. Louis stood frozen to his spot, his legs refusing to move and his mind refusing to process what had just happened until he was shaken out of his dazed state by a familiar curly haired guy.

"Come on, Lou! Let's go!" Harry said, excitement clear in his voice.

Once back on stage, they were given the news that they were being put in a group of five. It was another lifeline, a lifetime opportunity and the guys couldn't help but take a second to get their brains to wrap around the news. And Harry hugged the life out of Louis, picking the guy up and spinning him around because he felt like he owed being there to the boy. And then all the guys were embracing each other, smiling their hearts out because why not.

Soon they were deciding a name for their band when Niall suggested "Niall and the potatoes" but later said that the name wouldn't work because they couldn't risk one of them being eaten alive.

"How is One Direction?", Harry had asked slowly and that had clicked with all of the boys.