CHAPTER 1

A deep wave of fear engulfed me as I struggled against sleep. I violently shot up at the intruding footsteps that reverberated throughout my room. A recurring series of events.

I never fully understood the reason and cause of the nature of this kind of predicament.

Sweat drenched my attire as fear crawled and scratched at my chest and my heart beated rapidly. I leaned against my bed, and attempted to calm myself.

A silhouette stalked the corners of my room and my fists clenched against the red silk sheets.

"Face me you coward!" I fiercely spat through the dark room.

I stumbled from my bed in my gold and crimson sleeping robe. My chest compressed as the figure moved forward.

"Such foolishness will get a man killed. Even great ones cannot withstand the day of judgement." His voice irked me: His shadow mocked me: And his words provoked me.

"Human strength is futile in the sight of God." He seethed.

My throat constricted and I struggled to utter a single word. I was frustrated and losing patience.

Could it be the day that my nightmares bled and leaked into reality? Or could it be what I had feared had finally happened to me and my woes have come to pass?

"I do no mocking. I only warn you. I tell you oh King Dakota, gird up your loins." The man pressed against the thin atmosphere as he drew closer to me. I trembled in silence and grew more weary.

I flung my bedside lamp towards him. Crashing against the wall, it shattered into pieces and I realised what I had done was a terrible and grave mistake; he alone remained unscathed as broken pieces nicked at my skin.

Like lightning his gaze was blazing blue and electric as he gracefully and swiftly appeared before me. I was left petrified.

"A King without God is weak. Do not ignore His voice when he calls, because this time of ignorance is over." He seethed like fire would whisper in the midst of a storm.

His features were beautiful, soft, and silky, a striking contrast to his current demeanor. Yet, his words stirred my soul and made me question my entire existence.

He leaned back and sighed in displeasure. "How long will you keep running away from Him?" His face brightened as light beamed in the sight of darkness. "Many are called, but few are chosen. And God has chosen you King Dakota.

I trembled, agape at what I witnessed. He was an angelic creature that glowed brighter than the sun.

"Look for a man named John-David Strongbone in the land of Hempton. Be in a haste to depart with your brother Gabriel before it is too late to journey." I sheltered my sight as an astonishing radiation of light enveloped him. As quickly as he had come, he was gone.

Frustration tore and desolation buckled my knees as my hands gripped my darkened, sweat drenched locks.

The floor thundered as men marched against the mahogany wooden floor boards.

Like a bird, my door soared across the room. In the midst of darkness, soldiers rushed in assessing the situation.

Concealing my previous woes, I rose from the floor.

"My majesty the King, are you of any harm?" A mighty man of war assessed me with his sight for any noticeable wounds.

"I am well," I confirmed to the Captain.

"Then we must depart from here. The kingdom is under siege." Shock separated my lips and caused me to choke on my own saliva as he grit out his remark.