CHAPTER 9

John attempted to subtly sneak another glass of grape juice, but was caught by Matthew who also sneakily pushed his glass towards him for another serve.

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't catch them in the act. However, I couldn't deny its refreshing taste, it was the best non-intoxicating grape juice I had ever tasted.

I looked at Prophet John-David to see whether he saw what I saw, however he was fully engrossed in a conversation with Puah. So I turned my eyes to Shiphrah and she raised her eyebrows with a knowing grin. I shook my head before cheerfully going back to my food.

"What's so funny?" Prophet John David nudged me and I froze. "I am loooving the foood." I took another bite as I rubbed my stomach and obviously thanked Shiphrah and Puah for their service. "Yum." The soldiers all looked to the ground before John shook his shoulders.

Was he, was he laughing at me? I understood my action might have been comical but I didn't think it was worth a chuckle.

John yelped as though someone had kicked him and I turned to see that Stephen was glaring at him. This made him stifle every bit of humour back down his throat.

That's right soldier, hold it all back, I thought as I leaned into my seat in silent triumphant.

After breakfast, the ladies did the dishes while we cleared the table. It was truly an amusing sight, for I had never cleared a table before in my life. I mean... there was no real need for me to do so.

It made me realise and understand the contrast in perspectives in the way that I lived my life back home.

"Dakota, may you please help Shiphrah with the dishes? I have to go on a little errand. I will be back shortly." She didn't have to tell me twice- I was looking for ways to have a conversation with Shiphrah without it being obvious.

"What would you like for me to do?" I asked the young lady but she seemed confused with my prescence. "I've come to replace Puah. What would you like for me to do?" I elaborated

"Oh, sorry. I think maybe you can dry the dishes. I'll help put them away." She was doing the dishes in a fast paced manner, leaving them sparkling clean.

"What would you say are your hobbies?" I finally queried as she manuvured around the kitchen.

I handed her another glass, "My hobbies?" I nodded as she pulled a faint smile as she put it away.

"I love painting." She blushed. "If I could be, I would be an artist. What about you?"

I racked my head to look for a feasible answer. "I don't really have hobbies. I actually only work. Quite boring I know." I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment.

The continuous management of the kingdom kept me busy and mentally exhausted. By the end of the day all I desired was sleep and rest. I've had more time to sleep and rest here in Hempton than I have since becoming king.

"But...when I was in my teenage years I favoured sword fighting with my brother." I chuckled at the amount of intense preparation it took to become a king of a country and an entire army.

"Oh really... why sword fighting?" She spun around in innocent curiosity.

"Why art?" I deflected with a small chuckle which made her smile brighter.

"I asked first." She said as she put away the last of the utensils. I handed her a cup as I thought of something intelligent to say.

"It's the exhilaration of partaking in battle. Some wars involve an intense battle for your life while sparing doesn't. I guess it's that moment to physically relieve myself from the notions of life without feeling guilty of bloodshed. And also because it's with my brother- I definitely won't feel guilty," she laughed at my mischief.