Turncoat

Adara felt some humour at her mother's words but left her apartment for the Bridge with a sense of urgency. She wanted to get this conflict moving toward a resolution. She said: "I'm coming now, and please put that avatar away. To answer your question about my prisoner. I want to prove to myself that any intelligent creature can be shown a better way. Besides, I am learning a lot from our interviews since removing his cerebral limiter."

The Holovid came to life, and Adara saw that the same reptile confronted her as last time. She said: "Greetings enemy representative."

The reptile stared at her tiny frame for a few contemptuous seconds and said: "I am the leader of this sector, not some representative. The families agree to negotiate the terms of your surrender. Any negotiation must include giving us access to, and control of the 'Eternal Ship' in an acceptable time frame. What do you want in return for a fast and economical ending to this standoff?"

Adara answered: "My needs are simple. I will host some members from every reptile family here on Eden over the next two months. I know that your families will challenge each other, and your selected champions will fight. I want them to fight here, and the family of the final winner will stay to take control of the Eternal ship."

The reptile leader said: "That you know of this custom, is alarming. Why would we use the Eternal Ship as our battleground? You must have a trap set for us. You have seemed far too confident from the start, and we are not easily fooled."

Adara said: "Firstly, it was you that said the families could contest ownership. I assumed the rest. Secondly, I told you there is only my prisoner and me awake here. Are you afraid of this?" Adara pointed to her own body and laughed: "Who can I hurt with this?"

Then she said: "As to why the families would contest ownership here? That is the simplest and most logic reason. This is neutral ground, and no high-tech or projectile weapons will function on the Eternal Ship. Only blades, teeth and claws work here. I also have a huge arena that can seat more than a hundred thousand spectators. The floor is soft and perfect for fighting. You will also use Eden's resources and food."

"The food is killed fresh and delivered free to the auto kitchens, and you can eat whatever you want and as much as you want... excluding me." When you have the family winner, everyone leaves except that family. Then as I'm leaving, I will give them the essential command access codes to Eden's control systems, after that, I'm out of here... and gone."

The Reptile leader said: "I have a condition; my family must feast on the other humans; the ones that are sleeping. The ones we know you have."

Adara said: "No!"

The reptile said: "No feast, no deal."

Adara paused with her head down, then she returned to focus on the enemy leader and said: "If I say yes to that disgusting request, then I want something more from you. I want to own the life of the prisoner I now hold; I will not return him to you, and I want his mate and his parents as well. No prisoner, No family. No deal."

The leader looked at her again as if weighing her, and then he said: "I accept. You are not my equal, and in fact, you are not equal to any of us, but having said that, I am impressed with your boldness and bravery." It nodded and hissed a laugh: "You have a deal."

Adara said: "I totally agree that we will never be equal, and this meeting will indeed see an end to the eternal struggle between our peoples."

The leader said: "You look so young and yet, seem wise for your age. I also agree that if no humans remain, there can be no struggle, and balance will be gained at long last... It is the way of things."

"Starting on the stroke of twelve full periods from the end of this current period, we will send two members from every family, every day for one month. All the families that need to see inside 'The Eternal Ship' can do so while the challenges are underway. It will be a marvellous and religiously profound ending to the chase that has lasted millions and millions of years. The time of balance is upon us."