s i e r r a l y n n

I didn't come here to make friends

We were born to be suburban legends

When you hold me, it holds me together

And you kiss me in a way that's gonna screw me up forever

Suburban legends (Taylor's version) - Taylor Swift

I wonder why nobody ever wrote a guide to entangle the past of your almost unknown family, since it is so damn difficult to find out how this whole thing works, and books unfortunately show us the amount of pressure and suffocation it brings.

Ray and Jay went feral when I told them that Lennox -No, it's Emrys now, I guess- is now an asset to the investigation I'm making, even more when they heard that he actually drove me home himself after our study date, despite me sparing myself the embarrassment of reporting the strange last conversation that happened just before I left the car.

For the entire evening and night, my head randomly flashed back to the almost civil conversation at that small coffee shop, to the snippet of information he willingly gave away, to the feeling of his calloused fingers against my skin, the deepness of his gray eyes that could have been compared to a storm that threatened to wreck me in the most deliciously torturous way.

"Only when you say it..."

His name, Emrys, I have learned, means Immortal in welsh, and also happens to be Merlin's last name. A twisted, laughable irony, for his name to be related to both magic and immortality, the most tempting concepts in life, or at least, the most tempting concepts in my life.

I stand in front of the mirror, carefully applying the eyeliner and the other makeup products papa bought me ages ago that I never bothered to use that much before, call it self-consciousness, but I sure as hell won't give a small effort into impressing Mr. Belair to help me out.

My reflection in the mirror looks almost unrecognizable, and I nearly wish Ray was more insistent on making me wear makeup more often, my usual french braid however, I couldn't give up on it, resting on my shoulder, an old souvenir, a secret promise...

Papa didn't come home from work yet, and as much as I try to hide it, it does worry me, knowing that he's drowning in his work to shut down his emotions again, to forget that Serafina ended up showing in our lives again.

I understand him though, because I did it myself. I ran through my Math notes a thousand times yesterday night, clinging to the hope that it'd distract me from the cheerful laughter Serafina and Riv shared while I hid cowardly into my bedroom.

When I am finally ready, dressed into a simple white shirt, a beige vest, a black skirt and black leather boots. I leave my room with a smile on my face, my shoes clicking against the cold floor, and yet, as the doorbell rings, I race to open it before anyone can do it before me.